Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm puzzled by the hp ratings of routers(universal motors), no way can a 15 amp circuit(most typically found in home workshops) can produce 3+ hp as marketed by manufacturers. Are these ratings "peak power" ratings or just some other form of snake oil kicked out by marketing departments. Amps or watts are listed by the UL(United Laboratories) on nearly all tools and these are continuous use ratings, the UL does not consider hp produced so there really is no accurate universally accepted hp rating method so....?

thanks, Brian

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,361 Posts
Are these ratings "peak power" ratings
Consider them to be marketing ratings. Just like there's no way my shop vac produces in excess of 6 HP... all marketing.

·
Registered
22,228 Posts
I think the Euro method of rating amps or watts is a better indicator of power output. But the U.S. sticks to HP and the numbers are just relative. I think the maximum hp for a 115 v AC motor is 1.75. That's the number on my two Laguna machines. The saw;s motor can convert to 220, but I don't know how that affects hp. My shop has 20 amp circuits, so I don't get power dips.

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts
I believe, a few years ago, the Triton rating dropped from 2400W to 2000W @DesertRatTom ?

This may have been to fit in with EU ratings?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts