Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have decided to upgrade and want a 15 amp router under my new table. That being said I don't want a router lift, but a good solid router made for table mounting. The Triton seems to be popular for this setup but it just seems cheaply made. Am I mistaken in that belief? The PC 7518 requires a lift correct? Milwaukee? Bosch? Would really appreciate input from the group.
Thanks

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have decided to upgrade and want a 15 amp router under my new table. That being said I don't want a router lift, but a good solid router made for table mounting. The Triton seems to be popular for this setup but it just seems cheaply made. Am I mistaken in that belief? The PC 7518 requires a lift correct? Milwaukee? Bosch? Would really appreciate input from the group.
Thanks
I had a PC 7518 under my table for years without a lift. I still have it mounted on a plate and drop it in the table instead of changing/adjusting bits. However, the electronic speed control on the PC is first-generation technology and allows the speed to vary too much when spinning big bits at low speed. That's my main beef with the PC.

I also have the Triton and I believe it's a superior machine. While the exterior housing does have a lot of plastic, its performance has been stellar. It spins a 3 3/8" panel raising bit at low speed with just the merest hint of speed fluctuation. The controls and adjustments are well-engineered and thoughtfully placed. You can change bits and make adjustments above the table, but you still have to reach under the table to operate the clamp and that safety switch. I'd look no further than the Triton if I were buying again.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Had a 5625 directly mounted to my 5/8" thick MDF table top. Not a bad router, but had bearing problems from the getgo. Was stolen. That old table now has a 7518 in place (no plates, directly mounted). Have a new 7518 in the new table. It is on its own traveling carriage, 3/8" aluminum jig plate.
DW/PC have never addressed (publicly) their speed issue with their Speedmatics. I have had plenty of trouble with the old ones. But this new guy is running well at all speeds. The 7518 has 2 advantages over all other routers: A heavy flywheel (armature) and more up/down travel. The 5625 has no where near the rotational inertia of the 7518 but it has damn good speed controller! The 7518 has >4" of up/down travel. And as such, does not necessarily need a plate or lift.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I had a PC 7518 under my table for years without a lift. I still have it mounted on a plate and drop it in the table instead of changing/adjusting bits. However, the electronic speed control on the PC is first-generation technology and allows the speed to vary too much when spinning big bits at low speed. That's my main beef with the PC.
Andy I have the same PC in one table in a lift which covers the speed control,so I have it on high speed and use a separate speed controller to adjust the speed ,works good for me.
Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Tritons are very popular for the table and have almost zero negative reviews or comments. They have had support problems in the past but since changing distributors 2 or 3 years ago I haven't heard any more comments about that. Milwaukee's have a good reputation but I've seen comments about the plastic gear that moves the router up and down stripping but that may be because the user forgot to unlock it first. My Hitachi M12V2 has been good and it has a 14mm nut on the end of the threaded rod which I adjust with a socket and speeder wrench. I don't know if the newer models have that and the M12V before it didn't. I know the 2 1/2 hp Bosch 1617 has above table adjustment but I'm unfamiliar with the larger model.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Andy I have the same PC in one table in a lift which covers the speed control,so I have it on high speed and use a separate speed controller to adjust the speed ,works good for me.
Herb
My PC works fine at max speed. I only have one bit that needs the lower speed, and I use my Triton for that. I considered a separate speed controller, but decided to buy the Triton instead because it brought the advantage of having two big routers. Once I get my rail/stile bits set up, I just change routers and don't have to mess with adjusting bits anymore.

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
I have the 3 1/4 hp Triton on one end of my table and a Bosch 1617 on the other end. Both work for me but I prefer the Triton horsepower. it just purrs along when spinning big cutters like the raised panel cutters.

Both are mounted to Kreg plates that came with holes predrilled for the height adjustment handles/wrenches.

·
Premium Member
19,237 Posts
Count me in on the Triton team. 1617s for freehand and plunge use. Triton is too heavy for me to use freehand. I went with the heavier aluminum Woodpecker plate, which has the twistlock inserts, which just speeds up bit changes. I got the router and plate in part after watching Marc Sommerfeld using it with his matched bit sets for various purposes. Fast, easy setup and the matched bits mean you don't have to keep fiddling with height. Sommerfeld has a great little star shaped gadget called the quick set, which is a jig to set up his bits, including compensating or the thickness of wood. He also sells one for Freud bits. If you still have questions, look up Marc Sommerfeld on YouTube. Really helpful to watch him work. He was once a cabinet maker and his methods and videos are very clear and practical.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I'm with Tom on the Triton...1617 for freehand. With fence dust collection it collects better than the 1617...but the dust kit for the 1617 is awesome for freehand...best of both worlds...yup, buy both...

·
Registered
Theo
6,913 Posts
Pat. Wow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Certainly hard not to consider the Triton with all the positive comments. For some reason, and it must be just me, I just don't have that warm and fuzzy feel for it. I think my concern is the "clever" features. For example, the auto locking collet seems great, but what if it fails? Can the collet still be held in place to loosen it? The lever to lock the routers up/down position looks "cheap". Is it or is this just me being picky..likely making something out of nothing...Thanks for all the great comments.

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
Sounds to me that you are dead set against it, even though you haven't used it. Bummer.

Good luck. There are other models out there to choose from.

·
Official Greeter
18,742 Posts
Sorry you feel that way N/A...

PS Glad to see so much support for the Triton on the forum....

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I have both Bosch & the big Triton & no problems with either.James jj777746

·
Registered
577 Posts
Certainly hard not to consider the Triton with all the positive comments. For some reason, and it must be just me, I just don't have that warm and fuzzy feel for it. I think my concern is the "clever" features. For example, the auto locking collet seems great, but what if it fails? Can the collet still be held in place to loosen it? The lever to lock the routers up/down position looks "cheap". Is it or is this just me being picky..likely making something out of nothing...Thanks for all the great comments.
The collet auto lock is actually a really simple mechanism. There's not much to go wrong with it. It has a spring-loaded spindle lock button like any other router. On the Triton the button is chamfered so that when fully plunged, a corresponding chamfer on the base presses the spindle lock in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not dead set against it at all, actually leaning towards it. Just want to make a decision I will be happy with and figured with all the collective experience here, I would get the good, the bad and the ugly. Sounds like the Triton is one heck of a machine.

·
Premium Member
19,237 Posts
Just want to make a decision I will be happy with and figured with all the collective experience here, I would get the good, the bad and the ugly. Sounds like the Triton is one heck of a machine.
Yup, it is. I think the designers looked at all the good features of competitors and designed to include all of them and then added a few new things. If you get the Triton, for table mounting you will have to remove a spring that enables the plunge feature. Just be a little careful when you open the spring chamber, it is pretty strong and wants to make the cap fly. Hang onto the spring and store it where you can find it if you ever want to sell or do plunge work with it.

The Bosch 1617EVSPK is a kit with both fixed and plunge base and often goes on sale for $200 or so. It is a really great freehand and plunge router!

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts