Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am a woodworker with beyond beginner skills. I have made a router table and am trying to decide what insert to use. I have not yet constructed the table top itself, just finished the cabinet below. Any advice on what to buy? I am considering the Woodpecker, Rockler and Incra router insert aluminum plates. Does anyone have experience with any of these?

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Hello Linda, and welcome to the RouterForums. Nice of you to join our group. Always room for another lady.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings Linda and welcome to the router forum. We are pleased you have chosen to join with us.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Hi,
I am a woodworker with beyond beginner skills. I have made a router table and am trying to decide what insert to use. I have not yet constructed the table top itself, just finished the cabinet below. Any advice on what to buy? I am considering the Woodpecker, Rockler and Incra router insert aluminum plates. Does anyone have experience with any of these?
You forgot two, the OakPark/Routerworkshop frugal method (excellent philosophy) or the do it yourself copy of the oakPark/Routerworkshop frugal method.

Hi Linda:

You don't just buy a baseplate. ( how many times have I had to write this ...) The baseplate dictates how you will spend your money for the rest of eternity. Each manufacturer has devised a method of extracting money from your pocketbook just to maintain and advance with your collection of routers.

Rick Rozendahl (I think that's how you spell it) devised a series of tools for using a router that was inexpensive, complete, didn't cost a fortune to manufacture, and could be made at home with some care. The collection addresses more project types than any other family of router tools.

Above I note that you have a collection of routers. Routers are like clamps -- you can never have enough. If you were to outfit each of your routers with a cast iron/aluminum baseplate, you'd not be able to afford the wood to work on.

Go to the The Woodworking Channel and seek out the videos of "The Router Workshop" and start watching like you're taking on a new religion and these are the gurus. Then, when you're done, now you're able to make an informed decision and even the other products will seem understandable.

Good luck and enjoy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts