Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to shop space constraints, I need to find a way to use a Bosch 4100 tablesaw's fence by hanging a router under the extended part of the pull-out table top. Shop has n't been used as the garage it was originally, but I'm running outta space! 2 routers to choose from: Craftsman 1/2 inch, Model 315.275000, and a chinese Freud knockoff called the Toughtest 1/2 " plunge router, model M1R-DQ03-12, courtesy of the Handyman club of America.

I've got some 3/4" birch sitting around, so I can make a hinged fold-in base to support a router plate that will fit/fill-in between the shafts of the table expansion, but I'm a bit at sea about how to go about setting up controls and a remote on/off power switch. Perhaps a floor switch or, ??

Why do this? I want to make tracks of a Biro/ Thomas the Tank Engine train set.

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum, George.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,914 Posts
Hello George
Welcome to the forum.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,873 Posts
Welcome to the forum George.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome to the forum George. For most router table operations most of the bit is sitting behind the face of the fence. That will be your difficulty in using your saw fence for a router fence. You will need to add material to your fence with a gap for the bit to get the bit away from it. Depending on what you build it could be screwed to your fence or clamped to it. How much you have to build out from the fence depends on how big a bit you plan on ever using.

I bought a similar saw from Sears. You could make a top that sits across the rails when the extension is opened up. You would need to get it level with the rest of the top. For keeping it in place I would just attach a cleat underneath both front and rear that butted against the rails. That would keep it from sliding forward and backwards and you could close the extension on it and lock the clamps to hold it the other way. Gravity is all you need to hold it down.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The Bosch 4100 is a close match to the Ridgid R4510. I did the the same thing you're working on. My avatar is a pic of the insert and the link to the build thread is in my sig..
Feel free to use whatever you find helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts