Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am torn between Milescraft Pro sign making jig and Rockler Forest kit. Milescraft seems a little flimsy with the letter thickness on the thin and breakable side. Rockler looks good but I don't know about taping work piece down. Are there any premium jigs out there? Do the pros use these type of kits or are they free stylers. Thanks 10bosch

·
Registered
199 Posts
Maybe once upon a time pros used router templates for making signs, but now pros use cnc for making much higher quality, more creative signs.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Why don't you print what you want on your computer in the font you want and glue it to the wood you want and route it out? This is cheap and I think it looks good.

You can read about how to do this and ask questions if need be here.

Sign Making - Router Forums

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Why don't you print what you want on your computer in the font you want and glue it to the wood you want and route it out? This is cheap and I think it looks good.

You can read about how to do this and ask questions if need be here.
Apparently I live in a different universe, because the photo was all I needed to tell me how to do it, no questions asked.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
As Don said. These links show how I make signs.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Lookin' good Harry. If I made signs that is just the way I would do it. But I have only made one sign so far, the corporate headquarters iggle, and thus ends my sign making career. It was cut with a bandsaw, and hand painted. Hmm, can see I definitely need to go over the lettering with white, black now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Rockler letters snap together for equal spacing and then you tape it in place. By the third letter I was cranking through the letters very quickly. They also now have a couple different fonts and sizes.

Attachments

Reactions: MT Stringer

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
The Rockler letters snap together for equal spacing and then you tape it in place. By the third letter I was cranking through the letters very quickly. They also now have a couple different fonts and sizes.
Looks good, but the part that throws me is, if you wanted to change fonts, or size, that means buying a new set. Either that or stick to the same size all the time.

All in all, I think I'd either go Harry style, or make a pantograph router for the job.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Holy Cow! Just looked up the Rockler kit. $50, and capital letters only. It does include numbers, et al, even so, I think it is just too limiting, especially for the price. I seriously doubt I'll get into sign making (except maybe house numbers for myself), but if I ever do, I will definitely be looking for a less costly route. I'm not cheap, but I am usually broke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks good, but the part that throws me is, if you wanted to change fonts, or size, that means buying a new set. Either that or stick to the same size all the time.

All in all, I think I'd either go Harry style, or make a pantograph router for the job.
That's true. I think it all boils down to what style or look you're going for. As in most of woodworking, there are multiple ways to do a task. The Rockler templates are just one way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.