Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to determine if I can use my old Craftsman router in a new router lift (to be installed in a DIY table), I took the base apart.

My question is - would that work to mount into a router lift? I don't think it is designed to be used this way, but it might work? I would clearly need to rewire the power to a safety switch.

But would that even work?

Thank you kindly in advance for you advice.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've only been routing 3 years, I've never seen a router designed like that, with the vertical ridges on the motor fitting into the base. Seems it could be hard to find a lift to fit that. And there isn't any provision for using the motor without the base, because of the wiring?

I'd say keep your Craftsman as it is for hand held routing, buy another router for use in the lift, it is common to do that anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob, I agree with you - but for one other reason.

The motor is vented near the bit/collet end - so any dust or chips would land right inside the motor.

I'm gonna take your advice and look at another router motor to mount in the table. Like a Bosch 1617 or similar.

Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I forgot to say: Welcome to the forum.

It is very common for routers to vent on the bit end, but air is blowing out there, such routers do fine in a table.

Some router designs have a base that can function as a lift in a table, you might ask for recommendations about that, not something I have experience with.

How old are your bits? Modern bits are designed to limit how far they can bite into the wood per revolution, old bits without that feature can be harder to control, even hazardous to you and your project, maybe ask some of the more experienced people here about that too.

·
Registered
21,703 Posts

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Personally, I would not have a router lift. My router is screwed to a plate (1/2" plywood, as is the table top), pop the whole thing out, do whatever, pop it back in. My other routers are also screwed to plates (all identical), so can change to a new bit and router, in seconds. And I've opened my router up, not a speck of sawdust in it.

Reactions: mtomlinson
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.