Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I've seen several home made lifts from plywood lately and the owners said they worked well. Al B. Thayer had a version that would flip from vertical to horizontal and was selling plans for it for $10 I think on ebay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the complements! For this design I think I was very lucky the alignment for the rods and bearings was very close. As far as material purchased so far was:

Mcmaster-carr
6655K15 Thrust bearings 3ea
90977A170 Coupling nut 1ea
93250A268 S.S. Threaded rod
6384K23 Ball Bearings 3ea
6338K423 Sleeve bearings, 4ea, I decided against the flange and turned them down on a lathe later
6061K33 Linear shaft 2ea

Most of the wood was Baltic birch and some other I had laying around.

Thank you!
Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I made a few changes to my design on clamping the router to the carriage. I was going to use two band clamps that wrapped around two 3/8" steel rods and the router to hold it in place. I felt the carriage was too narrow and was not happy with it. I saw some other great designs people have done with wooden clamps so I went with that. the router is held in rock solid, much better :) I barely had room to add 10-32 screws on each side of the bushing. My next step is to figure out what size gear motor I need. I might add two limit switches to tell when the the carriage is at Max high and low positions.

Machine tool Tool Machine Tool accessory Cylindrical grinder

Machine tool Machine Tool accessory Tool

Machine tool Machine Tool Tool accessory Lathe

Wood Metal Machine Fishing reel Wheel

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
Hello,
This would be my first attempt at a router table. My first part of the table would be the lift. The only reason I am taking a stab at making was the price of the lifts :surprise: I still have work on the lift, wooden clamps, band clamp. I will be adding a DC gear motor to drive the lift

.An excellent job that should work well. I used a different approach and did consider fitting a motor but after finding that it worked well I decided against it. I would have thought that your Hitachi router would be a far better choice for a table than a trim router.

Attachments

Reactions: TenGees

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello,
This would be my first attempt at a router table. My first part of the table would be the lift. The only reason I am taking a stab at making was the price of the lifts :surprise: I still have work on the lift, wooden clamps, band clamp. I will be adding a DC gear motor to drive the lift

.An excellent job that should work well. I used a different approach and did consider fitting a motor but after finding that it worked well I decided against it. I would have thought that your Hitachi router would be a far better choice for a table than a trim router.
Nice job Harry! Im getting close to finishing the lift part, just ordered the gear motor and now I can start on the table it self. I saw a lot of nice work on this site! My object for this project was cheap LOL! Im getting close to retiring :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.