Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and thank you for providing this forum. I came across you folks while searching for information on router lifts. I am trying to decide which router lift to install in my yet to be built router table top. The two taht have peaked my interest are made by jessem and pinnacle. Does anyone have experience with either?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have a Jessem lift that I use with my DW625E. It is great. The reducer rings are brilliant. I takes PC guides. The lift is well made and accurate, easy to fit. The 2 potential problems are 1. changing bits. I use box spanners for slim bits and now have made a cranked spanner that is perfect. 2. The router bit is off centre, so may be a problem in an existing table, not my 2 tables though. I can rotate mine to give variety. Brilliant. I also use a Trend T11 router in Trend's Pro table. It has a small handled straight handle that raises 1.5MM per rev, and is soooooooo tiring to raise and lift the router. I will have to add a crank to it.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Hey Mc...

Which Pinnacle lift are you looking at? If its the Pinn. version of the Incra PRLv2, which is the same as the Woodpeckers PRLv2, I can give ya some insight...

·
Banned
510 Posts
Hello everyone and thank you for providing this forum. I came across you folks while searching for information on router lifts. I am trying to decide which router lift to install in my yet to be built router table top. The two taht have peaked my interest are made by jessem and pinnacle. Does anyone have experience with either?
Welcome to the forum; there are many here who can assist you getting what you want to do with a router. Just as a reminder; there is more that can be achieved when the router is held in the plunge mode, with the aid of template guides. Check out the material below.
Tom
(Template Tom)

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
Greetings and welcome too the router forum, good to have here with us.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Welcome to the RouterForums Mac. Glad to have you join us.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two Skies & others Thank you for the replies. The pinnacle I am considering is the
PRLv2. I would appreciate hearing your comments.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Two Skies & others Thank you for the replies. The pinnacle I am considering is the
PRLv2. I would appreciate hearing your comments.
Ok Craig...yep, ya just can't beat the PRLv2 (unless you got a jessem, a bulldog, a homemade rig etc... *L*) I have the PRLv2 and love it. Fit and finish is excellent out of the box. Machining of the unit is top notch. Adapter sleeves for my router (milwaukee 5625xx) were a snap to install and fit my router like a glove. I choose the unit that incorporated the metal rings as opposed to the plastic ones. This was/is an Incra option. Cosmetically I'd give the unit a B+. The metal rings tarnished almost immediately. No biggie actually just kinda annoying considering the cost. then it dawned on me. It was probably my fault. I had made a ring holder out of oak...big mistake!!! After 4 or 5 months of use now, she cleans up great..
Functionally I'd give it an A. The thing just works great. Easy access to the collet for bit changes, rings are easily removed and replaced. The magnets used to hold the rings in place are adjustable. The thumb wheel adjuster is just a fantastic feature. There is a bit of slop at first, but once you get used to the "feel" of the thing, its no big deal. She ain't cheap, but if its a lift you want, you can't go wrong with the PRLv2..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Two Skies
Bill
Thanks for the reply but I am confused about your comment "can't beat the PRLv2 unless you got a jessem". The jessem is also on my list. Do you find the jessem has advantage over the PRLv2?

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
*LOL*...

Craig, my bad... a lame attempt at humor I suppose. My point was that most folks really like the lift that they already own, albeit a PRL, Jessem, etc.. having decided upon said lifts based on any number of personal reasons.
The PRLv2 was the first lift I ever purchased after having done much research not unlike what your doing. In the end, what sold me over all the others was the thumbwheel adjustment capabilities. Most of the high end lifts now have the same capabilities however accomplished via different mechanisms.

some guys like those camero's, others like the mustang,, me, i'm a cuda kinda guy..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Newby ( At least to this forum) ;o)

Hi, I from New Cumberland WV. I've been using a router for over 30 years. My wife bought me my first one for my birthday to make routered signs. A Black and Decker. Still works. Have 6 of them. I've used them to make lots of stuff. I don't do fancy things. Mostly rustic ( maybe a little better) Outside furniture. Swings, Gliders, Picnic tables, Cabinets, Computer Desks etc. A lot of things. Going to build my own router table and stand. Saved big bucks making my drill press table. Turned a Shop Smith into a permanent drill press. Long story. Looking for different things to make........Marv

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bill

Thanks for taking the time to reply and clear up my confusion. One day soon I will have a PLRv2 in my cave.

Craig

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Bill

Thanks for taking the time to reply and clear up my confusion. One day soon I will have a PLRv2 in my cave.

Craig
ohhhhhhhhhh you gonna love it !!! :laugh:

what have you decided about a table/fence etc??

bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ohhhhhhhhhh you gonna love it !!! :laugh:

what have you decided about a table/fence etc??

bill
Bill

My plans are to build my own top. I plan on placing the top between the extruded aluminum rails of the red line fence system on my table saw. I can then use the same fence (with some attachments) for routering. With this set up I won't being consuming any more floorspace in my shop.What do you think? Any Ideas?

Craig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts