Router Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I have been a fan of the Bosch 1617EVSPK for some time I've mostly used that router while mounted in my lift in the router table. I recently bough a jig to route the holes for the MFD table type pattern on my workbench using a 1/2" up cut spiral bit. 1st mistake was trying to eke out a bit more depth by extending the depth by moving it further out in the chuck. Don't do this unless you want problems, possibly injury as well. This did ruin the chuck as it spun the bit out of the chuck deforming it. The bit which normally would easily move through the collet now goes less than 1/3 the way in before becoming so stuck it's useless.

So the chuck from the other 1617EVS gets put on and I continue with a new longer bit which now works much better and safer. Lesson learned....And things go so well that I start to skip stopping the router between holes. The jig has 4 rows of 4 holes (16 each setup) which is registered and clamped. The new longer bit just goes inside the 3/4 PC guide bushing when fully up. Then I start to notice that the plunge isn't fully returning as expected and the bit is slightly outside the bushing so I end up buggering a hole which I'll now have to fill with epoxy. OK one more step I didn't want to do. I'm in a hurry as I want to use my bench dogs, fences, and clamps to make and assembly my face frames for the cabinets I'm in the middle of making.

Hint....never be in a hurry, it only leads to more work, possible destruction, and possible injury. Now I'm also a bit tired as the day has been long but I want to finish this part, So on I go and next I eyeball the next row and start my router to make the next series. And this is where it got scary....I should have used the tape measure that was mere inches away but instead pressed forward and began the next hole. Next thing I know the bit is bucking back and forth violently. I quickly discover that while I like the handles on the plunge base I also realize that the power switch is just out of reach. While the router is violently banging back and forth I finally am able to raise and clear the table top. The damage is done to both jig, bit router base, guide bushing and adapter, and table. It happens so fast that there's little time to think, only react.

Pieces of base and bushing adapter fly around the shop. Luckily no one is hurt but words are loudly issued which alerts the better half and that warrants a quick visit to witness the destruction and mess that has now cost a bit of $$. Time to think about what happened and investigate the whole approach and process. Actually that would/should have been the 1st thing done before starting this in the 1st place.

What just happened is the bit just came into contact with a metal brace that holds the top to the adjustable stand ends/ no more than a 1/16" but contact none the less. Might as well been 2" in for all it did. As I peered into the very botched hole I saw the metal edge and where it wildly oscillated I also saw the screw end it also now came into contact with. This threw the router into a violent oscillation that was impossible to control. Enough force was created to shatter the router plastic base, destroy the Porter Cable bushing adapter, and nick the cutting edge of the $67 bit not to mention creating one very nasty hole in the workbench top. Luckily no bodily damage was done. After picking up the scattered pieces, part of the base was 20' away, I tried to fully understand what just happened. I had learned my lesson about stopping the bit before moving to the next hole, had learned to make sure the bit was fully up again, and slow my pace. What damned me on the next move was not making fully sure there were no obstructions (brace/screws) in the way to cause any issues. I also realized that I need a foot switch to use when using this router by hand as there was no way to switch it off as both hands were needed to hold the router.

So now parts are ordered, including the foot switch, and time will be taken to fully understand what had just happened. This isn't intended to be amusing but rather a lesson learned and passed on. These machines are turning these bits at 24,000 RPM. It's faster then you may think generating a lot of force that doesn't stop in an instant.

Shelf Shelving Furniture Bookcase Plywood
Cabinet case, stacked 3 high to save space. One not shown and a corner cabinet as well.

Wood Plywood Floor Plastic

Botched hole.

Workbench

Dogs hole accessories.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems I have more to learn about adding the images.....
Tool accessory Tool

The mark you see near the end is where to bit was tightened, of course I wasn't aware it was that short......

Auto part Disc brake Fashion accessory Bicycle part Washer

I guess that's enough confession for today. Lessons learned, parts ordered and a foot switch is on the way. I also have the paddle switch like that on my router table and table saw that I will be outfitting with a clampable mount so it can be placed and clamped at the location of the work. In this case it would have been moved at least 4 times on each side of the workbench. I also need to order epoxy now to fill and repair the botched holes......

Hope this helps keep others form following in these bad footsteps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Being strictly a hobbyist who so far has not had deadlines to meet, I have the luxury of setting a rule for myself that if I am tired or not fully awake no router work for me. If I get tired I stop.
My first router, which is now probably in a landfill somewhere, started launching router bits into high earth orbit. I then bought a “real“ router that has served me well for over15 years.
I also own the Bosch MRC23EVSK that has the power switch on the fixed base handle. More expensive than the 1617 but seemed more convenient

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Seems I have more to learn about adding the images.....
View attachment 396144

The mark you see near the end is where to bit was tightened, of course I wasn't aware it was that short......

View attachment 396145

I guess that's enough confession for today. Lessons learned, parts ordered and a foot switch is on the way. I also have the paddle switch like that on my router table and table saw that I will be outfitting with a clampable mount so it can be placed and clamped at the location of the work. In this case it would have been moved at least 4 times on each side of the workbench. I also need to order epoxy now to fill and repair the botched holes......

Hope this helps keep others form following in these bad footsteps.
Well first off thank God you were not injured! Plus 1 on the foot switch. I assume you are talking about a Dead Man Foot Switch, the switch that when you step on it the power tool starts and when you remove your foot from the switch the power tool stops. Foot Switch That is an excellent idea for hand held routing. I use one for the bandsaw but haven't thought about using it on the router. I will be using it in future handheld operation.

Love your bench and the entire bench dog clamping system!
I hate to brag but I believe I have made bigger mistakes routing than you... just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Being strictly a hobbyist who so far has not had deadlines to meet, I have the luxury of setting a rule for myself that if I am tired or not fully awake no router work for me. If I get tired I stop.
My first router, which is now probably in a landfill somewhere, started launching router bits into high earth orbit. I then bought a “real“ router that has served me well for over15 years.
I also own the Bosch MRC23EVSK that has the power switch on the fixed base handle. More expensive than the 1617 but seemed more convenient
Worst part being is that I didn't have to do anything but wanted to make more progress.....well that didn't exactly happen. I did get back down today and used the Domino to make the joining floating mortises cuts for the face frames which went well and was well planned and executed. I also used the Domino to create a mount for a spare on/off paddle switch I had on hand to use until the foot switch comes in. The Bosch parts are like mid to late December before receiving but aren't needed right now as I have the spare 1617EVSPK to work with.

Wood Table Table saw Floor Tool

Power Switch to be clamped at work area

Machine Table

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Marco I never said this was the worst........but probably is come to think of it. Usually I think out the work before jumping in and keep a reasonably clean and organized shop just for that reason.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Marco I never said this was the worst........but probably is come to think of it. Usually I think out the work before jumping in and keep a reasonably clean and organized shop just for that reason.
Plus 1 on the clean and organized shop. After 11 years I finally have it that way! It's a huge difference. When you go to work in the shop you don't take 20 minutes to clear stuff out enough to find some of what you need to get started is just the beginning of probably a bad day in the shop.

Thanks for posting about the accident. Being reminded of how quick something can and will go wrong is something we need to have planted in our work habits. Plan our work and work our plan as safe as we can.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
TWheels

Your Signature is hilarious "I Hope to Be the Person My Poodles Believe I Am " If I was half the person Marco thinks I am, I would be SOMEBODY

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
I have a dead man foot switch I have used for I don't know how many years. Pretty much doesn't matter what power tool I use, hook up the foot switch to it. Never needed it, but it sure makes one feel better, knowing it is there.

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
I have had a Dado Wiz for many years. A great tool for cutting exact fit dados and grooves. I had a down cut spiral bit $$$$$ mounted and forget to turn the router off before lifting it out of the Wiz. Snap and the spinning bit chewed into the aluminum of the Wiz, knocking a chunk out of the bit. Definitely need a foot switch for freehand use. Wish there were an easy way to get a trigger switch on the plunge base grip. You are not alone. Let's not talk about table saw kickback, OK?

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
I have had a Dado Wiz for many years. A great tool for cutting exact fit dados and grooves. I had a down cut spiral bit $$$$$ mounted and forget to turn the router off before lifting it out of the Wiz. Snap and the spinning bit chewed into the aluminum of the Wiz, knocking a chunk out of the bit. Definitely need a foot switch for freehand use. Wish there were an easy way to get a trigger switch on the plunge base grip. You are not alone. Let's not talk about table saw kickback, OK?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
It's been years ago "The Kickback" but I'm still not ready to talk about it. :cry:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Just a good reminder that many things can go wrong in a hurry and set up and double checking things are a must. Glad you weren't injured.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
A great lesson for one and all and very well presented. The real positive, no injuries other than perhaps to one's pride. Rest assured most of us have been caught in something similar.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,059 Posts
One of the great features of the MUSCLECHUCK is that it gives about an extra 1/2" depth of cut.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,059 Posts
In the unlikely event that there is some run-out, it's just a matter of rotating it on the shaft a few degrees at a time until there is NO run-out Tom.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Mine installed perfectly on the first try. The manual does include instructions for making the adjustmen Harry described. I continue to be very happy with mine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts