Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am adding a 2 1/4 hp router onto a manual hand wheel operated z axis for my legacy ornamental mill model 1800. i can buy a delrin router mount for $36.00 including shipping or buy a 6061 aluminum mount for $89.00 free shipping. what do you think, i don't know, i would guess the aluminum one is alot stronger, any suggestions, thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Aluminum...
stronger and more flex/heat resistant..

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Aluminum...
stronger and more flex/heat resistant..
I know Next Wave Automation uses plastic for the mounts on their CNC machines and they also sell replacements for when they break. A lot of the CNC Shark owners have changed to aluminum clamps because theirs broke or before theirs breaks.

As Stick points out there is more flex in plastic that aluminum and if you have flex in your clamp the router will have a tendency to wander and cause chatter and you will not get the smooth cuts you want. You will have a lot more cleanup after the part comes off the mill.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
You might contact Sam here [email protected] and give him the measurements you need and see if he could or would make one for you. That is where the CNC Shark owners buy their aluminum replacement clamps. I bought one and it works great and was a good price and fair shipping cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts