Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a new one I'll bet.
Had my Craftsman plunge router mounted in the table I built using a phenolic plate. The height wasn't too easy to adjust so I switched to the regular base. It is now self adjusting. But NOT the way I want.
I was routing an edge on a piece of softwood and the bit kept rising. Still solid in the collet, the router adjustment was rising. Set it back to its proper position, started again and the router slowly descended.
Okay!? Tried several times with similar results.
Any ideas? I'm stumped.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
What is the model number of the router

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Welcome Jim...

if the base has a camed locking lever it may need adjusting..

Reactions: nu wudworker

·
Registered
901 Posts
Craftsman routers have developed a reputation for the optional Random Height Adjustment feature, but it's usually the bit squirting out of the collet. Since it's not the collet in your case, there's bound to be some way to adjust how snug the clamp holds the router in position. Looks like yours needs to be tighter.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Jim.

The solution will depend on the OEM of the router. Over the years they have been supplied by several different manufacturers under the Craftsman name to Sears. However, first thoughts are right there with Stick and Andy. Sounds like a tightness problem. I had one that had a hairline crack in the "friction band", for lack of a better descriptor. It wasn't visible until it was under tension and of course the motor walked in the base.

Bill

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I agree with all the guys about the clamping. I had one do that and it was just a matter of adjusting the clamping pressure.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Like Bill, I'm very suspicious about a part having fractured.
I'd pull it out of the table and give it a thorough cleaning, and then examine it very carefully under a bright light.
Plastics age and get brittle! (In many ways like us...)

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Here's the thing;
it was working fine...now it isn't 'What's changed?'
An abrupt shift in characteristics almost always indicates a malfunction of a part or parts, rather than faulty adjustment.
Not saying it isn't the later but I'd (almost) be willing to bet a part's broken or come loose...in the sense of a missing fastener (vibration).
By changing adjustments without confirming the former, the evidence is being hidden, but it will come back to haunt.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you people. Will check the cam lock and the band among other things. The solid base hadn't been used for a couple years so may have put it away without knowing it was fuschluginor. Thanks!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
If you two don't behave, I'm sending both of you to your rooms!:surprise::surprise::surprise:
ummmmmmmmmmm... DDDDAAAAD!!!!!!!
we share the same room....

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts