Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just retired from a working investigator and have taken up woodworking and am now the proud owner of a lot of tools...sort of the poor man's version of Tim the Toolman. I am curious and learning the fascinating world of wood and what one can do with it. This forum got me to try a 45 degree chamfer bit to bevel a small piece of half inch plywood using a $3 bit....bad idea. It can destroy a beginning worker's confidence. Ah but a Freud bit and a little practice can pay off. However I am curious as to how to make a plate insert to accommodate my new 2 1/2 inch diameter chamfer. It does the job and leaves no edge when raised just above the insert that came with the routing table and lift but obviously I can't drop it below the 1 1/2 inch opening of the insert. Can I safely take off the insert and work it up and down as I need?

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,902 Posts
Welcome to the forum Guile.

·
Official Greeter
19,050 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If you are asking about the red and yellow insert rings, then yes, you can remove them.

I am not sure if you mean to remove the black 9 X 11 insert plate?

To what would you attach the router?

You can set the cutter below that plate and then raise it through the plate to cut a zero clearance hole. You will then need another black insert plate to use with the red and yellow rings...

OR, you could make a new insert plate out of 3/8" acrylic with a 3 1/2" clearance hole just for the large chamfer cutter.

I have a similar cutter, but I have a 11 X 11 Oak Park plate with a large opening.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,956 Posts
:) Hi Guile, really pleased to see you join the community, welcome to Router Forums!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks James and I was referring to the 4-inch insert that encompasses the nut and collet and sits in the plate. I wasn't sure if there was a safety or mechanical reason it shouldn't be removed. Without the insert I can move the router bit up or down without any chance of the lower edge of the bit making contact with the top of the insert during operation. Does the removal of the insert which effectively leaves a four inch hole under the stock that I am feeding across the bit, create any stability issues. The stock is 18"X3"X1/2 plywood. Once again thanks.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
You should be okay without it as long as you are routing pieces that are large enough to keep from dropping into the gap. The inserts are there mostly for stability of your workpiece but stability also affects safety in many cases. In the long run you are going to need an extra ring or two for larger bits.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
If you don't feel comfortable making extra's using acrylic (as James said) , most plate manufacturers offer inserts with no hole, so you can cut your own. I made one, didn't like it, then found out that my plate manufacturer (can't remember who) offered blanks. Now I have 3 different size holes to fit all my bits. Snap'em in and out!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts