Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a roter related question the answer for which I have been searching for nearly a year.
The question is this: what kind of router motor setup did Porter Cable use on the early Model 513 lock Mortiser?
I have a type 1model missing the motor. A number of knowledgeable people have tried to find the answer but no luck. The parts drawings of the Mortiser do not show the motor which appears to be a 1 1/4 HP router with a special three lug plate on the shaft end of the motor. This interface locks the motor to the base of the Mortiser apparently by a push and twist action.
I have a early PC power hand planer also missing the motor which has the same setup.
This arrangement apparently allowed the use of one motor to power several tools.
Unfortunately, the information is not available to allow me to find a replacement.
I feel confident that with the vast amount of accumulated knowledge on this site that someone knows what I am describing and can solve this mystery for me.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards to all.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Have you tried contacting the factory?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Ron, I am going to suggest you find someone who collects and studies old power tools. Porter-Cable may be able to direct you to someone who is a retired employee / collector. Many of the sales reps from days past have collections of the tools that they have sold in the past. Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I appreciate all your suggestions and wll follow up on each one.
So far, PC has only offered the parts list and diagram, which as I stated does not contain the motor info, but I think a locating a retired employee is a great idea. Old timers are a wealth of info. Same for the vintage tool collector.
I'm thinking even someone who has a similar Mortiser who would take the time and effort to take some pictures of the motor interface would be a help as well.
Best regards to all and thanks again.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Ron, on Monday 5/21 call the DeWalt service center at 248-597-5000 between 9-4 (eastern time) and ask for Ron. Ron has 30 years experience with PC in the service center. I know you will have a tough time remembering his name... ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Mike.
I talked with Ron this morning and he gave me the information I need to identify the correct router used to power the PC model 513 Lock Mortiser.
Regards,
Ron

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
I knew that Ron. :) Brian and I were in there yesterday after some replacement bits for my countersinking tool. We spoke with Ron about the mount required. I have only used the newer version of the 513 mortising tool that works with a 690. If you did not know the 513 is worth big bucks and worth getting running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts