Router Forums banner

Router questions

1826 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Dr.Zook
I am new to wood working and have bought some old and new tools. I am having some slight problem and was searching on line to find a solution. I am attempting to make some raise panel doors but the router bits are ½” and the collets in the router is ¼”. Is there an adapter I can buy to fix my problem?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Hi kbarry

Most routers can go down to 1/4" easy but to go up to 1/2" well that's different .
Can you PLEASE post the make and model number of your router and will some luck someone may know if you can get adapter but don't bet on it.
One small note,,,,when you make raise panel doors you should use a 3HP+ router with a speed control.
One more small note, you can find 1/4" shaft panel bits but I don't recommend them but that would be one way to work around it.

Bj :)
Sorry kbarry. To the best of my knowledge you can't fit a 1/2" shank into a 1/4" collet (a quart into a pint pot!). You can get a 1/2" router with collet adapters to reduce to 1/4". Depending on the size of the job you might want to consider upgrading to a 1/2" router to go with your bits. Alternatively, if the job is small, buy only the 1/4" router bits you need to do the job in hand.
Thank you Bobj3. I will get the model but from what you are telling me I think I will have to buy some more tools.. THANK YOU AGAIN..
Welcome to the forums kbarry. I have to agree with Bj and Geordie. Sounds like a new router is in your future. If you are making raised panel doors, you need a 3+ hp and a 1/2" collet. In my opinion you have to much metal spinning to use an adapter of any kind.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.