Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am Jorge, novice woodworker, working out of my 2 car garage. Recently,my Black & Decker plunge router that my wife gave me for Christmas 5 years ago the bit keeps sliding out and ruining projects. I am looking at a Porter Cable at Home Depot that sells for $149(Hopefully for Father's Day!). Seems well built, lightweight and fixed base, 1/4 or 1/2 inch collets and quick change of bits, which is what I want. Can you guys give me some others to consider?
Thank you for any advice given!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jorge. My 45 yr. old Porter finally bit the dust. I replaced it with the Hitachi KM12VC and I've been very happy with it's performance. You'll have plenty of responses here as it 's a great group of people.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think that the current combination kits that give you a common router motor, a fixed and a plunge base is the best value for about any woodworker but especially those who are new to the hobby and may be limited in their tool selection. (You will get over that, I promise...)
I personally like the Bosch kits but whatever you get be sure it has variable speed. There are some "bargain" kits out there but they lack speed control and that dramatically limits the size bits that you can run in them.

See my Router Reviews

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Hello Jorge. Welcome to the RouterForums. Thanks for joining our great group.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I have 3 PCs, 2 Freuds and a Bosch.
I'm partial to the PCs, but they are all good machines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts