Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to the forum and have a router lift/router compatibility question. I just built my first router table/cabinet (went with Norm’s router table plan) and am super happy with the results and lessons learned. I did stumble across one issue with the router lift and router that I chose.

I went with the Rockler Pro Lift (9 1/4” version) and after having to look around, went with the Milwaukee 5625-20. After quite a bit of waiting for pieces to arrive, they are all finally here. But, after trying to assemble, the Milwaukee router is a hair too small in circumference for the Pro Lift.

For the sake of measuring I used a 3” scrap of card stock and after tightening the clamp (picture attached), the router held in place strong (I did not have intention of using cardboard. I only used it to test the gap). I could mount the router as intended with no movement, and could apply pressure with the same result.

My question is if anyone has experience or recommendations around using some sort of material to shim the router in the lift clamp. As mentioned with my cardboard test, the amount of material is pretty thin. I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas to fill the small gap and provide grip on the machine. Or, does this scream not safe. As well, the lift bracket does have four half circles that possibly be used with something to fill the gap (pictured).

I’ve had the router lift for quite a while, so returning it is not an option. I would love to use this set up if I can get it to work, but I don’t want to risk safety over everything else.

Thanks in advanced!

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,073 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am just thinking out loud, no experience with this lift, but I would try a thin rubberized weather strip. I think, using smallish diameter bits will be fine. But using a large bit, like a panel raising bit, puts a lot of torque on the router. The only way to find out would be to try it on some scrap. Go slow and if the router turns in the lift you will have to find another solution. Again this is what I would do. If you are not comfortable with any of this do not do it.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
As usual my 1st inclination would be to contact Rockler for their advice. They may well have a solution that is safe and known to work. Usually they have a list of routers that are intended for use in a particular lift. Good luck and do be careful with your decision.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would likely try using material from a roll of bare aluminum flashing from the home center assuming that the gap could be appropriately filled with just a couple of thicknesses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts