Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum team, I am in the middle of designing a project that includes a sliding Tambour door, using specialty router bits. I need help in routing out a curved groove for the tambour door to slide in. If some one from the forum can provide some insight, it would bring one step closer in my design plans.:thank_you2:

·
Official Greeter
20,246 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Joe.

The plans for your project should have a plan for the template required to cut the slot.

If not, you will have to design and cut your own template.

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Hi Joe. Welcome to our little corner of the 'net.

I would think you could make a template with the curve that you want on it and use a insert bushing and straight bit to cut it. MDF is a pretty good medium for jigs. Draw the curve that you want, rough cut with band saw or jig saw or ?? and finish by sanding up to the line that you drew. Fasten it to your work piece, double sided tape or even small nails if you prefer. Use the same jig for both sides of the door, that way you get the same curve on both sides.

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
Another way to make a template is to draw the one you want with a CAD program and then print it to actual size. Take the print copy and glue to your template material.
If you don't have a CAD program or the skills to use one there is a good chance you know someone that does.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Also look around your house for something with that curved profile. Make it a lot easier to copy than trying to draw an arc.
Right-on Hilton! It's amazning how many different circle templates (tin cans) the average cupboard full of groceries can contain. Offcut of harboard hot melted to the bottom of the can and then hot melt the can to the underside of your material, template trim bit and you're away!

The range is even better if you use Harry's ideas on guide bushes

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
239 Posts
They constructed a rolltop desk on the woodsmithshop TV show, episode 611. The plans are available for free on their website woodsmithshop.com. select episode previews and then browse the episodes. You will have to sign up for their weekly etip but I find these emails useful anyway. The episode preview includes a downloadable PDF file that has instructions on how they cut the slot for the tambour door using a template they built. There are a lot of useful router tips on this site as well and no, I am not associated with this program.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Hi, Joe.

Welcome to the forum.

Phil is right. You should check Harrysin´s tutorials. He has a lot of them to draw a simple or complex curves. I remember one related to a clock but I did not find.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.