Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I safely edge rout a piece of cherry approx 1" wide by 12" long? There's not much room between the fingers and the spinning bit.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Take a piece of scrap wood and cut it into an L shape and use it to push your small material through.

Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
I too try to router while part of larger board but being new to woodworking the way Mike showes is good to know.
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
How can I safely edge rout a piece of cherry approx 1" wide by 12" long? There's not much room between the fingers and the spinning bit.
Hi James:

All of the other suggestions are bang on but I'm going to suggest something a bit different. I would use a bearing on a bit and a safety guide pin. To learn this technique go to

The Woodworking Channel

Select "videos" and slide across to "the routerworkshop." You're looking for the "Fern Stand" episode. Go across to about 18:55 and they'll show how to use the safety pin. In this episode they're treating an edge on a long slender piece similar to what you're doing. Watch where and how they place their hands. Your piece might indeed need a holder and the holder Mike is suggesting works for me.

Alternatively, you can use a table mount router, a fence and push sticks.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI James

Sounds like a good job for the ski jig, with the ski jig your fingers are never in the path of the bit..

========

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like all of these ideas and will go with Mike's suggestion. Much thanks for all who offered their help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts