Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone back and forth a lot on this...it wouldn't take all that many dollars to convert to all shaper bits...still use my others in a hand held....and Grizzly has this fine little 3/4 h. shaper in my price range, okay, maybe not the very best but good enough! \

I am new here...hope you all have open minds toward a shaper as well as a good router...I'm def. leaning toward the shaper over a decent router table, can't do both and the shaper ends cheaper.

thanks for any considerations......:)Jeff

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
I think you need to figure out what sort of work you're going to be doing. If you're going to be doing a lot of cabinetry, raised panels, doors, etc, a shaper would be the way to go. If you just want the function of the shaper, and don't need the horsepower, set yourself up with a good router in the extension table on your table saw, or build yourself a decent cabinet (your website proves you have the skill for that). As for fences, lifts, etc. being too expensive for a decent router table, keep it simple. Take a look at Mark Sommerfeld (sommerfeldtoolsforwood.com) and see what he uses for a fence. Ain't nothing fancy about it at all. Lots of suppliers sell precision aluminum fence parts, etc.

You'll still need a hefty investment in router bits, since shaper cutters don't fit everywhere a router does.

Just my 2 cents,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya, KP91...good answer. I have an old Ryobi 10" with a 3 hp. ryobi plunge router at the end of the saw table. It is all incredibly used, awesomely accurate, and I doubt anyone else could use it!! I enjoy having the router right there, plenty of power and I seldom use a fence with what I am mostly doing right now....put a lot of ogee type trim decoration on floor and door trim I plane out here in my shop (mostly cedar and pecan). I use a bit with the bearing on top and ride the wood 'free' on the bearing...it is incredibly controllable.

I need both I think. I am getting in to doing more and more doors...I want to do some kind of Texas style but well made chest of drawers type stuff...and more doors....I am going to end up needing the shaper...at least I hope so! :) In the meantime, you're right on, I"ve been working on this shape in my head for a really simple router table but sturdy to sit alone on the shop floor. Don't think it will be too difficult....I have a couple of (rip-off) small uni-fence type fences that would work...etc.
Thanks for the comment :)J.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.