Router Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading in other threads about the use of threaded rod for ski rods.

Little by little, (When I have time)..I'm building another set of skis. Years ago, I gave one of my brothers my router skis, (3/8" rods) and vowed to build another, beefier set someday.

After buying a new 1617-1618, 3 months ago; I decided to beef up the new skis using 11mm diameter rods, instead of my old 3/8" rods. I drilled them bigger, then ran a 11 mm reamer through the new hole to size the holes, and really smooth out the bore. The new holes are .433, almost 7/16". 7/16=.4375"

Also used Drill Rod material from Amazon--"11mm drill rod" if anyone is interested:

Starrett Tool Steel 01 Drill Rod,Precision Ground and Polished Finish,Annealed Temper,ASTM A681,Metric,11 mm OD,36" Length: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I figured since I got a good deal on the router, may as well spend a little more for bigger rods, that are already ground and polished. I may even polish them to a higher degree, than them being centerless ground at the factory.

Don't really need 36" for each rod, but any leftover will get used to build other cutting tools for metal, (Boring bars, fly cutters, etc.) and woodworking. Heat it up with the torch, quench it, sharpen it, then you have a new cutter.;)

Have too many irons in the fire right now to finish the skis, but will try to remember to take pics on threading the ends, and building the skis themselves. I can thread them as 11mm, or turn down the ends to 3/8-16, and use threading dies; like Harry showed in his thread.
Haven't weighed the new router yet, but I bet there will be zero deviation down it's length. Hopefully before Christmas.............

BTW, has anybody weighed their Bosch 1617?

·
Premium Member
14,846 Posts
Unless you make a sub-base you are limited by the size of side fence holes in the router Harrison. What would be the point in polishing the rods, in operation, the router isn't slid along the rods except to position the router for the specific job and once positioned it's locked to the rods.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts