Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
I look forward Jim to a series of posts from you demonstrating the various operations that skis are capable of.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
who was it that originally came up with the idea of skis?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
hi Harry,

who did develop skis initially? was it template tom?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
hi Harry, ive been corrected, Trend came out with the skis first.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
I'm sure that very basic skis were shown well before Trend with their fancy Aluminium ones but credit where credit id due, it was "Template Tom" who refined and attempted to popularise the idea. At the time that I became a member of router forums, major players like Bobj3 were denigrating the techniques without actually trying them. I like to take responsibility for being patient and presenting complete projects with photo shoots which ever so slowly caught the interest of several members, particularly Bobj3 who was so impressed that HE developed several variations that were easier to make than mine. Quite honestly, at my age I couldn't care a damn who developed what, so long as members are prepared to try something that's new to THEM.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Harry, you did a good job showing how the skis could be used to do many different tasks!

and your patience and perseverence paid off. just look at how many here have built a ski jig. after building mine, i was impressed at what it could do and it gave me a sense of confidence.

i do also have to give a thank you to BobJ. when i had problem after problem, he never failed to help.

you both are always willing to help anyone who asks!

thanks to both of you!

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No, Levon.. it was a poor choice of words on my part. I didn't invent or improve them. I just built *this* set and posted them so people could see one use of them. I'll change the wording above.

I built them to accomplish a task (didn't bother to paint them for that reason) and will use them next when I have a task to accomplish that they are best suited for. They were also rather fun to make!

i think skis were developed quite awhile back by someone else.

maybe im wrong? Jim did you develop skis?

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Jim, could it be that you made a poor choice using the word "developed"

"to bring out the capabilities or possibilities of; bring to a more advanced or effective state: to develop natural resources;"

I know Levon well and know that he wouldn't purposely set out to offend anyone, I'm sure he was simply clarifying the situation and my post carried on from his.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
hi Jim,

sometimes we post and dont realise how it can be taken by others.

thats all i was saying, didnt mean to be snide either, i was just teasing.

but its true both our posts could be taken wrong.

i know when i built my skis i didnt develope them, i just copied anothers work.
That's very true, Levon.. I'll work on being clearerll! :)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
i as you or anyone here can post something that isnt read as it was intended. i also will try to be more clear.

i also as an average working joe will just say, i took some scraps of mdf and some rod and built a ski jig. i hope thats simple enough terms for even newcomers to this site can understand. i dont want to mix up anyone.

btw Jim, the reason i painted my ski jig was that each time i made an attempt at making a jig shown to me by the pros here, mine looked a little rougher than theirs and i was trying to doctor up my jig to look a little better. :) :)

·
Banned
510 Posts
In reply to all the questions on "when/where were the Skis introduced".

Firstly I would like to say Yes Template Tom Developed the design of the skis that has been posted here on the forum.

Jack Cox came up with his innovative idea in a Routing magazine, this was called a "Pivot Jig" and it was centred round a circular board for inserting patterns on boards etc.

Ron Fox another contributor to the magazine also introduced his method of routing a board flat.

I will look through my magazines and post some information from the various articles presented this may take a little time but I would like to clear up any misunderstanding of who did what.

Just as a matter of interest if I had invented the Pivot Frame and presented it to this forum I would have been inundated with not so complimentary replies. Possibly the same ones I would have used if I replied to Jack's article. Don't get me wrong the pivot jig did allow the owner to do wonderful things with the router that was not considered possible using the traditional method. But the making of it was beyond the capabilities of a number of woodworkers. (Also what was presented was very restrictive as to what could be achieved, certainly not what we can do with the design we have put together.) And no I did not even attempt to make it.

Long before this Forum went to air when I was in the cabinet making business I looked at what was presented and I came up with my own version with the help of one of my retired teaching colleagues, who assisted me with the set of skis I designed and still have, (See the pics below with metal ends) again I could not present this version for others to make, so I 'Developed' the design you are using today. I think that was in my retirement days after the year 2000.

Even long before that I developed even a simpler set of skis which was simply 2 parallel supports placed at either side of my Jig Holder and two rods through the base of the router. But again that method was restrictive so hence you have the design that I came up with which is much simpler and easier to use.
Tom
(Template Tom)

Attachments

·
Banned
510 Posts
Had a quick look at my old pics and here is the "Simple" set of skis mentioned above two pieces of timber set on each side of my Jig Holder and that is going back some 15 years
Tom
(Template Tom)
Pics used in my early writings on how to get more from your router
Sorry for the pics as they were reduced to be placed on a floppy disc. What's a floppy disc I can hear???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i as you or anyone here can post something that isnt read as it was intended. i also will try to be more clear.

i also as an average working joe will just say, i took some scraps of mdf and some rod and built a ski jig. i hope thats simple enough terms for even newcomers to this site can understand. i dont want to mix up anyone.

btw Jim, the reason i painted my ski jig was that each time i made an attempt at making a jig shown to me by the pros here, mine looked a little rougher than theirs and i was trying to doctor up my jig to look a little better. :) :)
I probably should paint mine too. Flat black paint will hide some of the flaws!!

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
"I probably should paint mine too. Flat black paint will hide some of the flaws!!"

It's not just a cosmetic thing Jim, It's like driving a nice clean car, it seems to drive better!

·
Banned
510 Posts
Many thanks for posting the relevant information regarding the Pivot jig. I have never ever made one and I would be interested Bob if you ever made the effort and what were your comments. Personally Jack Cox produced wonderful material with his Jig that Trend eventually marketed but I have only seen a few projects where the Jig was used by others. Though I may have missed some of the articles presented in the magazine.

The earliest posting I have managed to come up with was presented in Dec 1988 Where Jack was illustrating how to do Parallel Fluting Long before I had even got interested in the Ski Mode. He came up with his version on Ski routing with the pivot Jig. Jacks original use of the Pivot Jig when first introduced was routing the face of a clock made up of a variety of wedge shaped pieces. A great attempt t showing alternative methods of using the router. Unfortunately I am unable to resurrect that copy that I once possessed.

Tom
(Template Tom)

Attachments

·
Banned
510 Posts
Jack Cox was a great innovator when it came to routing. In March 2001 he submitted an article to the routing magazine on producing numerals. He had wonderful routing skills and he was a great Teacher.

Tom

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts