Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if making a router sled to flatten irregular shaped pieces of wood would be safe?

I have tried sanding them but it very very slow.

The timber is very old dry and hard eucalyptus.

The plan is to fill in the centres with resin, to make clocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
A router sled is perfectly safe and is exactly what you want to finish that job.

The most important point though is to take minimal cuts each time, barely scraping the surface.
If you try to make a deep cut then there is a very high chance the wood will shatter or break loose from whatever you have fixed it down with.
I use hotmelt glue when I use my sled.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The plan is to fill in the centres with resin, to make clocks.
I haven't done anything comparable, the router sled flattening I've done is on large solid pieces. Some of your pieces look like they could break, potentially kicking back the router. Is it possible to fill with the resin before the routing? That'd greatly strengthen the wood.

Maybe use a few screws into the wood or resin from the bottom?

·
Official Greeter
19,058 Posts
Hi Mark, search the forum for 'router skis'. A friend in Perth put me on to them and made a set for me.

I made a short video of them in use.

Reactions: Dejure

·
Registered
9 Posts
With this type off end grain cookies, To avoid splitting the end grain cookies into pieces. Several ways to go about this. I'd fill the centers 1st with resin then use a router with a flattening jig to flatten. Then apply the last resin coat after flattening (to get your final clear coat surface. If not, I'd use hide glue and attach the cookies to a piece of plywood. Then run though a drum sander till you get to the thickness you want (because these aren't a full cookie). The use a heat gun to soften the hide glue, and remove from the plywood base. Then remove the excess glue and sand till glue is gone. Then fill with resin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts