Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a flutemaker and am starting working on a new flute(new to me that is). I already see that I need some how to hold a somewhat irregular shaped flute so that I can rout about a 2" groove with a straight bit..Nothing fancy but I want to leave the router in the table and set something up for use on it.

The flute would be 1 1/4" with some taper to it. Any help is appreciated.Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
can you reference a picture???

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
How wide? How deep? What's the groove for? And, yeah, a picture would definitely help. Be sure to show where the groove will be.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
can you reference a picture???
Second Voice Flutes - Workshop: Fipples, voice boxes and flues

Click on link.The first pic shows the groove...Can be about 3/4" to 1" wide and 2 '' long.It is flexible..Scroll down a little on link and see the second pic. There is actually another groove inside the big one...It is the flue channel .Ill have some file and chisel or dremel work to do here also. Some do all this by hand but using the router when I get it figured out would be great for me!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
build a clamping nest w/ built in guides for the body...
free hand rout the grove w/ a small plunge router like a Bosch Colt...
a top bearing mortising bit would be my choice for a bit...
Freud Tools | 3/4" (Dia.) Mortising Bit

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
You want to rout out a pocket. I agree with Stick, a small trim router with plunge capability (that's a must have in this case) like the Bosch Colt or DeWalt 611. A jig with a hole the size of the pocket and that mortising bit would be easy. You'd need a different jig for each offset in the pocket. Another option might be using guide bushings but you are limited to jumps or either 1/16" or 1/8". There is no real fine tuning using guide bushings. If you want an idea of how they work you can go to our home page by clicking on the large Routerforums logo at the top of the page and look for the tutorials on them by Harrysin (Sinclair).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts