Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of working backwards on making a router table with all the controls mounted above the table.
For me trying to figure out all the electronics is probably the most time consuming part of this project, So I figured it would work out best for me to start with the controls that I wanted for the router table.

Awhile back I started a post on trying to figure out how to extend the wires on this DC motor controller.

The controller is eventually going to be used to power a 24VDC 120RPM gearmotor that will be used for a DIY router lift.
Along with the motorized lift I plan to add a digital readout like this one
so that I would know the depth of cut being made.

My plans at the time were to extend the wires & mount just the controls in a small control box that would be mounted up above the table on a repositionable arm, That way I could mount the actual control box somewhere below the table.

After thinking about a little more I started to look around for a larger box that I could just mount the whole controller in.
Well that led me into yet another one of those "Rabbit Holes"
With a larger box I had more room for other items & l could also mount the digital read out to the box.馃

Being I will have the digital read out & the lift controls in one location, It also made since to have some way to know when the router bit is flush/even with the top of the table so I can zero out the DRO. After a ton of Google searches I came up with the idea to use a Arduino Nano with a modified Reed Switch Module & a relay to make a zero touch plate that will stop the router lift the moment the bit touches the plate.

This is what I came up with.

And here's a cut & paste version of what it will look like with the DRO mounted.

Doug

Attachments

Registered
Maybe it's too early for me to follow/not enough coffeee, but it sounds more like a setup for a CNC then a router table. Do you have plans we can see for this router table?

Premium Member
Frank
Doug,

Enjoyed reading about your design. Have you installed an tested it? I am always impresses with someone that can see the problem and come up with the solution. Keep us posted on your progress.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
it sounds more like a setup for a CNC then a router table. Do you have plans we can see for this router table?
No actual plans on the router table or the lift mechanism yet, But I'm pretty much using This Video somewhat as a means of guidance. Naturally at a maker/works type of shop they had access to CNC machinery & the people knowable to build a router table like that.

For my router table I'll be basically be following the Norm Abrams design that a lot of people have used.
The actual router lift mechanism is going to be a DIY scissor lift set-up using a cheap 3HP single speed plunge router.(Basically a clone of a Makita 36128BR) I'm still working out some details on the lift mechanism.

As for plans on the controller it was pretty much a trial & error process, But I did draw up a simple sketch using the Windows paint program to kind of guide me through the stages.
Product Font Line Rectangle Parallel

The drawing above shows the 3PDT switch in the horizontal position, I later changed the design to mount it vertically on the bottom of the panel.

Here's a few pictures (hopefully) of the wiring inside the control panel.
Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Computer hardware
Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Computer hardware Electronic component
Computer hardware Audio equipment Computer keyboard Gas Electrical wiring
Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electricity Electrical wiring

Doug

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Enjoyed reading about your design. Have you installed an tested it?
No not yet as I haven't built the table yet & I'm still working out some details on the router lift mechanism.
I did run a basic bench test with the motor connected to confirm that everything is working how I had hoped.

I am always impresses with someone that can see the problem and come up with the solution.
That's basically why I started somewhat backwards at first, Figuring out all the electronics & controls I want to have on this router table will help me figure out the next stages.

Thinking ahead is kind of what led me to use the Arduino & reed switch module, The reed switch module has an small adjustable trim/pot (potentiomer) that is used to set the sensitivity. This may come in handy once I get everything set-up, I'm kind of figuring on a little bit of over-travel or a slight delay in the relay stopping the motor the second the bit makes contact with the touch plate.

On the bottom of the control panel I provided a access point to get at the trim/pot.
Window Bumper Wood Line Automotive exterior

I also added a connection plug to the right side of the control panel so that the touch plate/probe can be removed when not being used.
Gadget Material property Automotive exterior Audio equipment Gas

Doug

Registered
@dwall174
Rabbit-hole? Man, you have leapt down a mine-shaft, probably exiting somewhere in the Australian outback. Kudos to you for thinking this out. Very impressive. You might be able to control the motor speed with another Arduino, particularly if the motor has tacho sensors built-in.

James, keep an eye out for reports of a stranger from Michigan emerging from the ground somewhere near Alice Springs.

Official Greeter
Thanks @Biagio ....LOL. The way Covid is at the moment, he would be locked up for 14 days and then sent packing.......VBG,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.