Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much planning I have a table, fence, and several jigs designed, the parts list for Lee Valley written out and all that I have yet to determine is what to use for the exposed surfaces of the table top and fence. I will be spending a small fortune on the extrusions, t-slots, bolts, clamping handles, etc. so UHDW plastic is going to blow my budget out of the water.

The table top will be made of two layers of 3/4" baltic birch with some sort of surface for lubricity. I have seen some pics here that seem to have tempered hardboard, and others with an arborite-like top. I like the hardboard over the arborite since it seems less likely to crack and chip, but is it susceptible to expansion from humidity? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the table top and fence almost done, I just need to dress up the edges to make it look nice. Then I make the drawers, face frame the carcass and viola, I will have a new router table. Yes, I am slow :) but I am having a lot of fun making the table. Hopefully, by Sunday I can be taking photos.

I have a question about wax, Spacemanspiff. I have Minwax furniture paste, would that work the same way as your Briwax does for the table top and fence?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woohoo! I finally got to use my router table with the new fence yesterday. I had a problem with one of the adjustable panels warping, but I have finally replaced it. I cut a roundover on the seat of a stool I am making for my wife, and I gotta say Spacemanspiff, that the furniture paste on hardboard slides like butter. It is so smooth.

I still have to build drawer boxes and attach the dust collection and do the finishing, but it is coming along great! It will probably look a little silly when it is finished since I used Baltic birch for the carcass, red oak for the face frame and edgebanding (my Dad supplied this to me for free, I can only assume that he intends to use the table :) ) and maple drawer faces :) but it should last me for years and years.

Since I don't have a digital camera I will wait till all that is done before I take pics to show you folks. Thanks for everyone's help so far, this has been a fun project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.