Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been browsing this site for a while, but this is only my 2nd post. Great site.

Anyway, I just finished up my new router table & have a question about the fence.

I made a split fence using a 2”piece of aluminum angle & phenolic coated plywood for the front fences. Apparently the aluminum angle is not perfectly square. This makes the fence off about the thickness of a playing card (from a standard deck of bicycle playing cards). I tried shimming it a bit, but it’s still not exactly perfect. (One note, I am obsessive compulsive). I checked it using 3 different squares to ensure it wasn’t my square.

Will this small amount have a negative effect?

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you were using the edges for jointing, you would find a problem. If the edges were like that of a tabletop, the results would be minimal. Can you post a picture? There are very sharp hobbyists here. -Derek

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pics

Here are some pics.

Unless someone has a better idea, I stuck several playing cards under the fence & now it’s perfectly square. I’ll use this set up until I can get my hands on a straight & square piece of angle.

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi: You could try using some washers, thin ones between the angle aluminum and the fence, on the screws that hold the fence to the angle. You could make some shim washers out of thin metal stock and add them until ou get it perfect. Hope this helps.
Woodnut65

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi Mr Z, If you built that table,,,its obvious you put a lot of TLC in that project,,, too bad you have to deal with the playing cards to make it work,,, The card thing will work,,, but it sure detracts from the looks... but what the hey, a little "red neck" engineering is what the world needs every now and then,,,
If you have access to some machine tools,,, maybe you should think of going with some thing a bit more robust then light duty aluminum angle,, like some aluminum bar stock that you could bump into with out the fear of bending it out of square.
Or stay with wood,,, I have seen some nice fences made out of even MDF,, thats pretty stable and can be made at home,,
A table that nice deserves something nicer then a light duty, hardware store angle for an important element of the of the machine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Visteonguy said:
Hi Mr Z, If you built that table,,,its obvious you put a lot of TLC in that project,,, too bad you have to deal with the playing cards to make it work,,, The card thing will work,,, but it sure detracts from the looks... but what the hey, a little "red neck" engineering is what the world needs every now and then,,,
If you have access to some machine tools,,, maybe you should think of going with some thing a bit more robust then light duty aluminum angle,, like some aluminum bar stock that you could bump into with out the fear of bending it out of square.
Or stay with wood,,, I have seen some nice fences made out of even MDF,, thats pretty stable and can be made at home,,
A table that nice deserves something nicer then a light duty, hardware store angle for an important element of the of the machine.
I did build the table & that is why I want the fence perfect.

I think I'll pick up a sheet of 3/4 MDF & try something different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.