Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made a router table (very proud!) and mounted my router, done the first few jobs, but now need a proper fence that I can use for the table length 1.4 m (55.5 inches).

Can this table fence be purchased, or a smaller manufactured fence adapted, or do I have to make one myself?

I would prefer a fence that is professionally made, but do not want to buy one and the discover I cannot use it (as good ones are very expensive and typically they are about a meter long).

Also I have to be able to buy it in the UK. It is very frustrating that there appears to be no showroom where you can go and look at these things and discuss what is needed with someone who knows what they are talking about. I saw the INCRA and that looked the business, but this ships from the US and it is an awful long way if it is not the one I want and costs $279)

However, no doubt this forum will help.

Advice appreciated

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
Theo
7,179 Posts
I would say it all depends on what you are going to do. I don't have a router fence, because what I do does not call for one. If I do happen to need one, a chunk of 2X4 clamped down will answer my needs. However, if I ever get in the position where I actually need a 'real' router fence, I would be making my own; not only because it would be less expensive, but because then I could make it to answer my needs, and not be someone elses answer to what 'they' think is important - it always comes out better for me to make my own.

·
Official Greeter
19,077 Posts

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,059 Posts
Paul, I've used sophisticated fences but not for a very long time because this simple tall fence has stood me in good stead for many years, in my opinion for what it's worth it can do everything that a low one can but lots more, like raised panels using the safer vertical raising bits.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
This is the last one I built and I found it quite versatile. I like being able to close the gap on any size bit. I was going to make some tall faces for it for when I want to do what Harry pictured but I gave the table and fence to my son-in-law to have so I'll do it on the next one. http://www.routerforums.com/attachm...-isnt-miter-slot-fence-router-table-fence.jpg

I see that the picture comes up too small to see the detail. If you click on my uploads you'll see in there in a larger format.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi Paul, I have used a purchased fence similar to Incra's whereby I could off-set the out feed side needed when cutting away the entire edge of the work piece. Attached is one I made that I like and made it the length that I wanted - 4 foot. I can also off-set the left side by loosening the out feed and inserting spacers behind the board. The T-track on the top of the fence is not attached to the fence so that the left side can be off set. Malcolm / Kentucky USA

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,059 Posts
When I need a zero clearance fence I clamp a sheet of MDF to the fence and draw it forward through the bit. Having a jointer means that I don't need the out-feed to be adjustable but if I did it's only a case of placing a piece of Laminex against the fence held with double sided tape.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I used extruded aluminum sandwiched between two 1/2" pieces of UHMW poly,attached to My TS fence.

Jim

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts