Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all;
I am recently retired, keen on woodworking, and a rookie when it comes to routing. I wish to attach a router to a router table. Should I attach a fixed base router or a plunger-based router? Are there many pro's and con's, or an obvious method? Many thanks.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I am far from an expert but MHO is fixed base. :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
for me i use a fixed bosch 1617ev in my table and also have plung base's for my other pc 690's so if you have both do as i did, now if you only have 1 than you have one plung router than i guess you have your answare , i don't belive their is a reason to put a plung router in the table, you didn't say which router you have but most have a way to change the height adjustment and you didn't say if you had a pop out router base plate? for the table for bit change , or a wrench for top bit change, good luck

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello Dave, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Welcome aboard David.

Fixed or plunge depends on the router itself really. Triton's plunge bases are well suited to table use with the ability to adjust height from above (drilling a hole may be required). Without a lift, many folks prefer to use a plunge base. On the other hand, my Bosch 1617's manuals (US version--UK model is different name) say that their plunge base is NOT to be used in a table--but the fixed base has through the top adjustment available.

Your PC's manual may give you some insight--but you won't go wrong using the fixed base.

earl

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Not all fixed bases will work in a table. I tried using my old Dewalt 610 with rack and pinion depth control. The first time I unclamped it, the motor fell onto the bench I had the bench top table sitting on. I have a Hitachi fixed base that would probably work okay in a table but I prefer using my plunges.

·
Official Greeter
19,126 Posts
Welcome to the forum, David.

If all you have is a Porter Cable. I would use that.

However, very quickly, you will learn that you may need a second router so that one can be left full time in the table.

My vote would be for the Triton.

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
Welcome aboard. Yep, totally agree, start with what you've got. I have several old Craftsman routers, all fixed base, all 1/4" shank. They're each mounted to a homemade router plate, making swapping quick and easy, and so far they've answered all my routing needs.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Welcome to the forum, David.

However, very quickly, you will learn that you may need a second router so that one can be left full time in the table.

My vote would be for the Triton.
News Flash...this just in--James would choose a Triton. :)

Next thing you know Moderator Mike will be suggesting some sort of Bosch!! :)

Just kidding with you James, I've read enough good things about Triton routers that someday i'll probably try one.

Charles makes a very good point, knowing the machine and reading (and understanding) the manual will go a long way.

earl

·
Official Greeter
Ross
10,058 Posts
Welcome to the forum David.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts