Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day

In the books and on the internet, the router is installed on the router table with a ”mounting plate” and some “inserts” to close the gap around the bit.
My question is, is this “insert” so important for the quality of the work, and if so what is the maximum recommended gap (or hole diameter) for various bit diameters.

On my router table (Home made), I just made a hole of 1-1/4” (my largest bit) and the router is mounted directly on the table.

Regards
niki

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Wouldn't say that it affects quality so much (although it could if your piece gets hung-up or tilts into the gap) - more for safety, control of the material (particularly if routing small pieces), and also helps to keep wood chips out of the router housing.
Don't think I've ever seen a max. recommended gap - I'll normaly use the one that is closest in size to the bit I'm using but that doesn't interfere.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Gilbear

I was suspecting that its more to do with safety and I got the confirmation from you.
I think that maybe its better to leave some gap especially when routing a rabbet, for dust extraction.

Thank you so much
niki

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good day Del Schisler
Thank you for the link.

Beautiful staff, the problem is that I live in Poland And I have to add to the price, shipment, maybe some custom tax and 22% VAT on the CIF.

So, the only thing that I can do is, to look at the USA prices and turn green from jealousy. They don’t have even T track here.

Regards
niki

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.