Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a router lift.The one in Shopenotes seems like it will be a good lift anyway I am looking for a decent router plate,any recomandations?By the way I have the plans for the lift if anyone needs them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the Bench Dog Aluminum Router Plate mounted in my table saw wind and it is very functional with great machining fit and finish.

·
Premium Member
19,223 Posts
I had a Rockler plate but replaced it with a Woodpecker because it's thicker and has the twist lock insert. The twist lock makes it really easy to change bits and Woodpecker has a pack of different size opening inserts. Not cheap, but heavy duty and if you're mounting a lift on the plate, this will hold up nicely.

·
Registered
Theo
6,907 Posts
Have never really understood the router lift thing. For me, changing a bit like that would be quite awkward. I much prefer popping my router plate out, change the bit, then pop the plate back in; much easier and faster for me - for one thing, then I can see just what I'm doing much easier. OR, pop the router plate out, and pop in another, complete with router and bit. Then, if need be, can change out the bit in the removed router at my convenience. Of course, it helps that I have several working routers, and one that just needs a wire re-soldered to work, all complete with their own router plate.

·
Premium Member
17,424 Posts
John , have you considered Incra. I like there cast aluminum plate and there optional clean sweep system held in with rare earth magnets

·
Registered
188 Posts
I used the Rockler Aluminum Pro Plate in my shop-built router table. With the built-in lift of the Triton router changing bits and setting bit height is done from above the table. It does not require removing the insert to change bits and it's much easier than removing the plate from the table.

Once you have used a lift with above-table bit change, you'll never go back to taking the router and plate out of the table every time you want to change bits or set the depth of cut.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I started building one of those 9 months ago, using a piece of Corian as the plate. I couldn't get the tracks to be tight enough to not play but loose enough to move smoothly. Since then I've found paraffin wax and bee's wax so at some point I'll work on it again, perhaps the new lube will work better than paste wax.
The Corian is 1/2" thick and free since it was salvaged from a kitchen remodel. I'm putting mine inside a Paulk workbench with not much clearance below the table because I have something else that slides under the bench.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts