Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys why is it when I see what I think is a micro adjuster for the fence , it's always on one side only ? For some reason I always thought you would want one on each end of the fence in order to keep it parallel to the miter slot . Not that your guiding material using the miter slot all the time , but it still has me wondering . I'd like to implement something like this when I build my fence but was thinking two of them

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I agree, Rick, Some operations you can just adjust one end of the fence,and when the miter slot is used the fence has to be parallel to the miter slot. But if you notice that upper slide bar on the fence, it is always parallel to the fence and has a miter gauge on it so you can make adjustments by moving one end of the fence. I have the same setup, but still out of habit adjust both ends to the scale on the table.

Herb

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Rick & Herb, this fence is an example of "Whistles and bells" routing. That is not a slam, just a term for the method where everything gets micro adjusted or has measuring devices down to a ten thousandth of an inch.

Using the "Keep it simple" method you clamp your fence in any position on the table, place the wood against the out feed side of the fence and eyeball your cut line in relationship to the bit. Not where you want it? Slightly loosen the clamp nearest to you and use a Router Workshop fine adjusting tool.

Both methods work and you should use the one you are most comfortable with.

Attachments

·
Official Greeter
18,742 Posts
Took me a while to work that one out, Rick.

Now, due to assistance from the forum, I am almost a routoligist, and only ever adjust one end of the fence.

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took me a while to work that one out, Rick.

Now, due to assistance from the forum, I am almost a routoligist, and only ever adjust one end of the fence.
routoligist . Hey James I'm liking that term ;)
Hopefully if spend a few years with you guys I can claim that title too :)

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rick & Herb, this fence is an example of "Whistles and bells" routing. That is not a slam, just a term for the method where everything gets micro adjusted or has measuring devices down to a ten thousandth of an inch.

Using the "Keep it simple" method you clamp your fence in any position on the table, place the wood against the out feed side of the fence and eyeball your cut line in relationship to the bit. Not where you want it? Slightly loosen the clamp nearest to you and use a Router Workshop fine adjusting tool.

Mike I'm a bells and whistle kinda guy . As soon as I build my table for my extention I would like to build a fairly good fence , as complicated as possible lol .
Thinking linear actuators ?
J/k

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Rick, this is the best part of the forums: seeing what others think about how to tackle any job. When Brian and I are working on a project we combine Brian's Canuck logic with my Yankee ingenuity and we usually get very good results. :)

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rick, this is the best part of the forums: seeing what others think about how to tackle any job. When Brian and I are working on a project we combine Brian's Canuck logic with my Yankee ingenuity and we usually get very good results. :)
Sounds like the making of a great team to me ;)

When you think about it we have the most powerful router think tank in the World . Combine the experience of all the members here and I suspect we'd have a billion years of knowledge . Ok you guys aren't quite that old
:grin:

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
suspect we'd have a billion years of knowledge . OK you guys aren't quite that old
:grin:
every front that moves in says other wise...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Given that at least since mankind started recording its progress we've all built on the shoulders of our predecessors, there may be a billion combined years of experience among router users across the world. Now throw in the internet age when the connection to all knowledge that came before is at our fingertips, and progress should be exponential from here on out.

4D

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Rick & Herb, this fence is an example of .

Hahaha, Mike that is funny, coming from you the router guru. But I have done a similar thing,not with the hammer,but the palm of my hand. Good one.

Herb

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Given that at least since mankind started recording its progress we've all built on the shoulders of our predecessors, there may be a billion combined years of experience among router users across the world. Now throw in the internet age when the connection to all knowledge that came before is at our fingertips, and progress should be exponential from here on out.

4D
You would think so . Maybe I'm holding us back ?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Maybe I'm holding us back ?
I doubt it. You may just be one of the advanced thinkers that doesn't share. There is all the past knowledge we have built on, but think of all the knowledge that was lost because it was never passed on or the civilization fell apart or got buried under lava. I had to clean out my Dad's house when he passed, and came across boxes of sketch books he had filled over his life. Yet none of his children knew him as an artist. Beautiful works of art.

4D

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
To get back to the original question, I don't use a miter slot/gauge very much on the table but it seems to me that a fence and miter gauge aren't used together very much.

As to microadjust. I like it a lot. Not because of extreme (and unnecessary accuracy) but because it's predictable. 3 clicks of my incra LS wheel is always the same and I can get back to where is started from if I go too far. I hate tapping on a clamped fence to move it just a skoshi only to have it blast well past. Then it's "where was I????".

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Is this centered enough for you Rick?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
When I need to move my router table fence just a little, I'll put a piece of tape down against the edge. Back edge if moving forward and front edge if moving back. Then I can see how far I've moved, and get back to it if I need to. Peel up the tape and reposition if moving again. You could also just clamp a small block against the back edge, then see how far you are from it when moved. If only one end of the fence is moved, and the bit is half way from the fence end, then a move at the end will be half that at the bit.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Herb, the hammer really is a Router Workshop method of adjustment. Just back the pressure off the front clamp slightly and a light tap or two usually gets it perfect, then lock the clamp back down.

Rick, A billion years? I am 3 years older than you Bubba!

OH! You were talking about Harry! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rick, should you adjust both ends of the fence to obtain a "micro-adjustment" the highest precision you obtain is subject and dependent on the thread of the adjusting screws – since the fence advances in a parallel way..
i.e. 1 mm turn of both threads equals to a micro-adjustment of 1 mm or a fraction of this in correspondence to the percentage of turn.

If you adjust only one end of the fence, the other being considered the pivot point, the precision which you obtain in your adjustment is directly proportionate to the advance of the adjusting screw and the distance of the adjusting screw to the pivot point.
Say you pivot a 24" (609.6mm) fence on one end and turn the 1mm per turn adjusting screw one turn the other end of the fence. The centre of the fence (where the router bit is located) will advance half that distance (0.5mm) in fact duplicating your precision.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts