Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking to purchase my first router table and so far have not found a review that covers all or a majority of the available brands. Is such a review available and if not what is your recommendation for a good router table for a hobby woodworker.

·
Official Greeter
18,808 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Dennis.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Welcome aboard!!

You're more likely to find reviews on individual products than really usable side by side comparisons. I bought a very nice table early last summer (new-old-stock Bench Dog, don't get me wrong--much nicer than i could have built) and now that i've got a little woodworking under my belt i wish i'd built it instead--for the experience if nothing else. If i was doing it again, i might buy a table top--but i'd build my own cabinet.

On the other hand, here's a few to consider:
1. In the US, Grizzly.com (T10432 Router Table with Stand) has a nicely made table/leg set for $131 (US) or so. Don't know if you can get it there. Gets you started quickly, and you will be able to build your own cabinet around it
2. If i was closer to Nova Scotia, i might look at the RT 1000 series (www.rt1000.com), a great value for what looks like a well built cabinet, my opinion. Reminiscent of the one Norm Abrams built on New Yankee Workshop.
3. If money and import were not an issue--i'd allow anyone to buy me any Incra positioner/router table combo. Any time. No special occasion would be needed!! (Router Fence and Table Combo - 3, add $30 to get the 25" positioner)

I've cobbled together an older Incra positioner and new Wonder Fence--works very well but my next table will be built as an offset style--probably 30" to 32" wide and 36" deep--maybe 40", more like the Incra offset.

Good luck--there is no "12 step recovery program" for this habit--i mean hobby!!!

earl

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Just to set the record straight the RT1000 was for sale 6 months before Norm built "his" version of the table. Both are based on plans from Fine Woodworking magazine.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Welcome Dennis. Some will say make your own some will tell you which brand they own and recommend. Bottom line is that all a table does no matter how fancy or expensive it is, is hold a router up. For that you could get a piece of wood, drill a big hole in it and attach your router to it. If you plan on buying one then don't get sucked into the advertising hype. Spend as little as you can until you are ready to make one with the bells and whistles that you find necessary.

·
Registered
Theo
7,103 Posts
Welcome aboard. My preference would be to make my own router table. I'm on version 4 or 5 of my own, and am more than satisfied with it. One thing about a homemade version, if you don't like something on it, there's nothing to hold you back from either changing it, or making another. Low expense too, I've probably got somewhere around $5 in mine.

·
Premium Member
19,472 Posts
I had more money than time when I started, so I purchased a Rockler table, top and lift. No regrets and it doesn't take up much space. The open table (or one on casters) makes it easier to get a vacuum under it to get rid of the inescapable dust. In my small shop, everything is movable or on open stands so I can keep it clean. I'm a throat cancer survivor so I take the carcinogenic dust problem seriously.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Thanks Mike--i didn't know that.

Art's advise makes sense to me!! Not that i didn't hear/read very similar things before i screwed up (not totally, but i could have been smarter)--i just wasn't wise and patient enough to listen.

earl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts