Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I have set out to replace my 25 year +/- table saw extension with a larger and flatter one.

Using materials on hand (including left over laminate from the original it replaces) I have cobbled together this new one you see in the pictures.

The substrate is (3) layers of 1/2” Baltic birch glued and screwed. Both top and bottom are covered with laminate.

In another post I shared that I now have a Woodpecker PRL-V2 lift. Using the lift plate itself as a template, I made the wooden template I used for creating the perfectly sized opening to receive the lift.

Although this extension is heavy (and solid as a rock it seems), I will be adding some additional cross-bracing beneath plus a shop made dust collection enclosure.

I have also purchased the woodpecker combination miter/accessory track to install.

By making the extension larger, I gain the ability to move the table saw fence all the way to the right and still not impact the router bit.

I will post more as work progresses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Mike
3,959 Posts
You're off to a good start. looks good so far.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been working on cutting all the pieces to provide additional bracing below the extension. This will further help keep it flat.

I have also started working on the dust collection box for use below the router.

Nothing is attached yet, just clamped in place so I can size all the pieces before start attaching things.

I think I am going to suck the dust out the back of the box, and provide a means to bring fresh-air in to directly vent the motor. Even toying with the idea of dust evacuation near the top. We’ll see.

·
Registered
22,199 Posts
Stick talked about a snorkle (Snork-le?) or tube through the bottom of the DC box, affixed to the bottom of the router. The easiest way to do this would be to mount two connectors flat to flat and run the flex tube up to the box and attached to one side of the connector, then a short length from the other side of the connector to the router's air intake. Pix is of the connector I'm suggesting. I would also consider putting some sort of filter box on the air intake, the less sawdust you send through the router, the better. Depending on brand, the connectors are $6-$10 each.

Making the tube fit on the bottom of the router could be done with aluminum duct tape, but you won't be able to remove it easily for other uses. For that you could get an oversized adapter with one side to fit your tubing, the other larger than the router base, then line the larger opening with door insulation strips to fit snug on the router. Easy to slip on and off and no tape residue.

Beautifully executed BTW.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I have also started working on the dust collection box for use below the router.
Nothing is attached yet, just clamped in place so I can size all the pieces before start attaching things.
I think I am going to suck the dust out the back of the box, and provide a means to bring fresh-air in to directly vent the motor. Even toying with the idea of dust evacuation near the top. We’ll see.
here's some things on dust collecting that may be of use to you...
here's the thread....

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Nice job...and liking your Jet DC...:grin:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that snorkel picture. That is the exact device I have for use on the box for attaching the dust collection hose.

There is a problem using that particular device on a porter cable 7518 motor as the vent intake holes are actually located on the side of the motor housing. I had thought about using a 6” flex duct around the plastic motor housing but that would actually choke off air flow. It would also prevent access to both the power and speed control switch. Some other means will be needed. I am currently thinking I may need to use a couple of pieces of highly flexible 2” vinyl hose or perhaps even fabric wrapped around a piece of wire spiral. Anybody else add a snorkel to a porter cable 7518 successfully?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
1... Thanks for that snorkel picture.
2... Anybody else add a snorkel to a porter cable 7518 successfully?
1... that's a start collar..
2... yes...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
yur welcome...
work out the fit/sizing/templates w/ pieces of light weight cardboard and tape 1st...
as in lengths, curves, rounds, rectangles, squares and what nots...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Today I completed the assembly of the extension with the attachment of the bracing beneath and start of the dust collection box. I attached the bracing using screws in such way that if I find the need to shim that I could push or pull to suit.

Once assembled I set it up on some saw horses, set the lift in and leveled it. Just wanted to see how well the insert would level up. Turned out sweet.

I have since turned it upside down on my assembly table to work out the nuances of motor ventilation and dust collection for my particular equipment combination. I am now taking inspiration from Stick’s PDF and other recommendations I have read here on the forum. I will post more as I progress.

Can’t wait to get this mounted in the saw.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.