Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Router table suggestions

I have searched the forums and have found some god information. I made a mobile workbench and was going to drop a router plate and router into into it but have decided on a stand alone unit. My remodeling/woodworking business is getting to busy for me to take to make a table so I started to look at the options out there. I stumbled across the sommerfeld table and fence and it looks pretty nice. Does anyone have this set up with the triton router? Any other suggestions for a router table and fence. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So I have made a decision to buy a router table and fence. I stumbled across the sommerfeld table and fence and it seems pretty nice. I have also seen posts thaT people like the Indra #3combo. Does any one have any experience with these tables or any suggestions for another brand? Thanks

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
look to JessEm tables and lifts...
they make a lot of the tables for others...
their CS/TS and equipment is next level 1st rate...
HOME

Reactions: Ray Newman

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at Jessem, they do look nice. Price of the top and fence is a little more. They do have a fence that I can us to do jointing which is something I have looked at doing for a while. I don’t use my wood shop and have been doing everything mobile out of my 21ft trailr. I haven’t tried to use my festool track saw to edge joint, I imagine it would work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jessem looks nice. I have considered an adjustable fence for a while to do edge jointing on a router. I could probably do it on my festool track saw but haven’t tried. Being mobile I have to leave the jointer at home and don’t have the room for it at the moment, and it’s too heavy to drag into my 21ft mobile workshop. Do you have any experience with there router fences?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome Eric. Triton has an excellent reputation as a table router. I'm not familiar with Marc's table though. Some guys who need one at work have built tables that are just a top and clamp to a pair of sawhorses. One or two others have made a top that clamps in a Workmate with strips around the edges that spreading the Workmate into holds it from sloding and the router sits in the opening. Those are easy to make, take, and store. Then you just need a fence. I can make a 1st class fence in 2-4 hours (never timed it, made 3 of them so far like my current one).

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Edge jointing on a table can be done with a split fence but getting the offset relative to bit exposure can take time. Faster is to use a straight edge and run the router down it.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I have a Woodpecker table and like it very much. I also think I would like the Jessem, and Incra tables. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,790 Posts
Eric
Back to your question, Sommerfeld tools products Quality equipment and has great customer service I personal have bought and used Marc Sommerfeld equipment with no problems if you have question call and talk to them.
I have no experience with Triton Routers but they get good reveiws here on the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Edge jointing on a table can be done with a split fence but getting the offset relative to bit exposure can take time. Faster is to use a straight edge and run the router down it.
I tried that once, on some hard maple I used to make a shelf/bench for under a window and no matter what the board was off during glue up. I went back to hand tools and just marked and hand planed till they fit so I could glue up the panels. If I remember it was the boards that were 6ft long I had issues with.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I am going to try the Sommerfeld. Since I work mobile/outdoors or inside my trailer I like the idea of an aluminum top. Thanks for all your input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts