Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
While I have used the router for many years, I have never built a table and with your advice, I plan to complete a long standing dream. I selected 3/4 inch pine plywood and plan to cover the working surface with a formica. The plate is a Rousseau and the router is a 3 1/2 hp craftsman. I am not sure if 3/4 inch pine plywood is strong enough to handle the torque and vibration for this setup. Thanks Erich

·
Registered
195 Posts
Delta6mike said:
Hello everyone,
While I have used the router for many years, I have never built a table and with your advice, I plan to complete a long standing dream. I selected 3/4 inch pine plywood and plan to cover the working surface with a formica. The plate is a Rousseau and the router is a 3 1/2 hp craftsman. I am not sure if 3/4 inch pine plywood is strong enough to handle the torque and vibration for this setup. Thanks Erich
Judge that it would be better to use two 3/4" layers of plywood. Don't forget you will loose some thickness when you route the opening to accept the "plate".
Steveo

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Erich,
Most of the plans I've seen all use 3/4" or 1" tops. I made mine out of 3/4" birch ply & covered it with formica and it holds up a 3 1/2 HP PC 7539 just fine. As long as the base plate fits the rebate for it well you shouldn't have any problem with movement. As a matter of fact the weight of my router is all that holds it in the table top (no fasteners). That makes it easy to lift it out to change bits. Have fun......Chuck

·
Registered
137 Posts
Delta6mike said:
Hello everyone,
I built the Deluxe Router Table by Norm Abram and it called for two 3/4" MDF sheets glued and screwed together. The weight of the top makes it incredibly strong which eliminates any sagging. I use a PC 7539 in the table and large Rockler heavy dutey table insert. My table is now 2 years old and there's no sign of any sagging so I'd recommend the same top for a quality table.

Bill

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi: I have a 3/4" top from Oak-Park and it's plenty strong, I have a PC7539 router and it is over 17lbs. I would do one thing though if you use Formica on the top, I would also use it on the bottom, that is to balance the top so prevent warping.
Hope this helps.. Woodnut65

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gentlemen,
Thank you very much for your assessment and evaluation of my problem. All of you make very good arguments and display excellent logical coherent analysis in your approaches. I see that going here for advise was exactly the best thing for me and I hope to return the favor one day in this forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.