Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some sink cutouts with plain laminate. I'm thinking about making a router table to fit on an extension of my TS. I'm worried that the MDF will sag. Can I reinforce it some way? I may be repeating another thread but what do you router-type folks use or recommend? I have two big box stores and a couple of lumber yards in town. Thanks.

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts
Hi John.

Many table have been made from sink cutouts.

If you want to reinforce the table you may use some 2" angle aluminum or 1x3 hardwood.

Check put some of the posts on the subject.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
The last one I made was also 5/8" but was melamine coated particle board, also well braced underneath. I even cut 3/8" grooves in it for t-track and 3 years later it is still dead flat. The construction method is more important than the material.

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
Like Pat and Chuck, my table is well braced, with no sagging, after probably 10 years or so. But I use 1/2" plywood for mine.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for your help and advice. I have access to angle iron which seems to be a good solution. I'll work on a system to attach the top to the TS rails. Maybe I can come up with a say to use the angle iron to attach the router table. Does this mean I'm committed to posting some photos?

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
What You can do is to glue two cutouts together, if You have two. When You glue the backsides of the both of them together, The laminate adds a lot of strength, and does not stretch. This will give You a table that will last a long time. You can add some kind of edging would also keep moisture at a minimum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
First post in building post counts, so I can't post pics or URLs yet.

I built some out of Synthetic Bowling alley flooring. It's solid phenolic, hard and stiff as a rock, and a little less than 3/8" thick. I'll post how I made them once I am allowed to post pictures. I came up with a system where I get 100% dust collection with no more than a Shop Vac.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.