Router Forums banner

router table top.

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Papa Mike 
#1 ·
I'm new to the forum, and relatively new to routers. I am attempting to convert an old industrial sewing machine top into a router top. Using a double thickness of pieces I cut out of a sink cut-out, I have filled in the hole where the sewing machine used to sit. I now plan to cover the the top with a piece of Formica, but I can only find full sheets and I need only a 22 x 48 piece. If I can't locate a smaller sheet of Formica, could I use a piece of tempered hardboard for the top, or should I shell out the $50 for a full sheet of Formica?

#2 ·
Hi Mike

Go to HD or Lowes and they will cut it down for you many times they have cut offs in the back of the store by the RAS saw that they mark down just to to move them, most you can get for a song..

=====

#3 ·
Greetings Mike and welcome to the router forum. Thank you for joining us, and remember to have fun, build well and above all be safe.

The HD near here caries pre-cut 24x48 pieces

#4 ·
G'day Mike

Welcome to the router forum.

Thank you for joining us

Don't worry if you can only buy a large sheet, you will find other uses for the Formica, jigs etc.

#6 ·
PS I would also recommend that you cover the bottom with Formicas as the moisture will also come up through the bottom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.