Router Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I need to make some banner/signs and have only basic old programs like MS word 2003 and paint. Is there as way to do this with these or another basic program I could download free? Something with font sizing around 200 points. And print in outline format. Thanks Pat

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Pat, I'm not sure exactly how big 200 points is. I can't remember off the top of my head what the most points Word has for a font. If it isn't the full page then you can enlarge it with a copier. You could try printing to a different scale and the printer might be able to do it in 2, 4, or more pages that you could piece together. And the last option would be to buy a pantograph and use it to enlarge the letters like I've done before. I bought mine from Lee Valley quite a few years ago for about $20.

Reactions: ksidwy

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Word goes up to that size and even larger. It is 72 points to the inch, so 200 is 2.77 inches, 2 3/4 rounded off. Set the paper for landscape with a half inch top margin, depending on the printer. Use legal size paper. On the Format drop down menu you select Fonts, then you can select outline. If the whole thing won't print on legal size, you can buy some 11x17 paper and trim it to 8 1/2 inches x 17 long. You set that as the paper size on page format, in landscape, and you have nearly a foot and a half of space. That should work if you have an inkjet printer. If you have a laser, you can generally only print up to legal size, 8 1/2 x 14, with typical .75 margins, you get a 12 1/2 inch printable area.

I don't recall, but some of the sign making posts recently covered how to transfer the inkjet lines to the wood. But if you do that, you have to reverse the letters. Word 2003 does not have that ability, however, you can type your text, then do a print screen, and then open a picture editing application (IrfanView is free and is excellent). Paste the screen image into the software, and save it in its highest resolution format available. Find the flip the picture command and then save the reversed image it produces--let it overwrite the prior image. You now have a reversed image of the lettering.

Go back to word, insert a text box, Use Insert / Picture from file to insert the now reversed picture into the text box. Then using your elongated format, stretch the box out until your letters are the desired height. It may pixilate, but if you are going to rout it, that will all disappear.

I also use Word 2003 because it was the last really great version of Word before Micro$oft ruined it by reverting to the "new" ribbon menus that are very similar to the ancient WordPerfect for DOS menu system. One of the newer versions of Word actually destroys documents in the old format, at least that's what I have read. So I am done with later versions of Office. If the company meant to force us into buying new software, they may have succeeded with some folks, but not me. If I didn't have to use the same Windows machines as my clients, I'd be on Apple.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi Belg, if you have uSoft Word, then you can change the font to any size that you want. Size 600 pretty much fills the entire page with one letter. For outline font, you can either download a free one by searching for Free Outline Fonts or use one of the outline fonts in WordArt. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pat,

Take a look at the web site BLOCKMAKER.COM . They have scalable fonts that you can print out plus there are many other handy calculators.

Enjoy,
Tom

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, thank one and all for all the great ideas. The blocklayer website was exactly what I needed. Funny thing is I have used that site a bunch of times for other things just never knew this was part of it. Tom, I knew exactly which site you were talking about from your first post, lol. Pat
PS was having decent luck using word 2003 with a bunch of help and Google searches for things I was getting stuck on. By highlighting the text and adding a "text box" it always you to maneuver the words around the page. Adjust spacing the only problem spot was Kerning which I hadn't figured out yet.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Did you consider Inkscape, free and I like it. 0:)

Reactions: TenGees
1 - 9 of 9 Posts