Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks! I want to find a single speed router that has brushes rather than being a induction motor. I am shopping on ebay for used since I want to use it to make a Bowling ball spinner. I will plug it in through a Router Speed Control and they require a motor with brushes and not a variable speed. Any ideas on a powerful model or brand to look for? I guess I should ask if all routers have brushes? Thanks for your time.

·
Super Moderator
John
6,944 Posts
Greeting and welcome to the forums Darrell.

·
Official Greeter
18,847 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Darrell.

I leave electrical questions to the experts.....

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
pickup a Porter Cable 690 setup.

===

Hi Folks! I want to find a single speed router that has brushes rather than being a induction motor. I am shopping on ebay for used since I want to use it to make a Bowling ball spinner. I will plug it in through a Router Speed Control and they require a motor with brushes and not a variable speed. Any ideas on a powerful model or brand to look for? I guess I should ask if all routers have brushes? Thanks for your time.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,535 Posts
Welcome to the forum Darrell.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
The PC 690 series that BJ suggested will be the easiest to find. As long as the router does not have a built in speed control it should do what you want. The most popular router motor for special applications is the Bosch 1617, not to be confused with the 1617EVS. This motor was used by the optical industry in lens shaping machines because of its heavy duty bearings and industrial quality construction. The 2-1/4 hp this model develops should be more than enough for your application; if it is not then consider the Milwaukee 5625 that is rated at 3.5 hp.

·
Registered
434 Posts
As long as your going to destroy it anyway, go to Harbor Freight and get a no-plunge router or other brush device. I got a single speed, no-plunge for 29.00 on sale and it actually worked, matter of fact I'm having a hard time killing it so I can get a Dewalt or PC motor only.

good luck - Baker

1 - 7 of 7 Posts