Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a PC 690 in my router table and it has through the top height adjustment which I love. I hate the wrenches that come with this router and all routers. I use a crescent wrench on the top nut and have an offset wrench for the bottom. The wrench is a piece of you know what. If I bought a Muscle Chuck I think they are around $50 and I would need two. One for 1/4" and one for 1/2" router bits. I could be wrong about needing two. So does any one have a good fix for this?

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I use Muscle chucks on both of my router tables and use the 1/2"-1/4" reducers in both machines,the Bosch 1617 and PC 7500 3.5 hp.
The Bosch is the only one that has the above the table height adjustment, the PC I can only get the chuck above table height about 3/8".
Herb

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Like Herb., I use a 1/2" to 1/4" reducer supplied by Derosa Engineering, the maker of the fabulous Musclechuck which only requires about a half turn of a 4mm ball ended Allen key, available everywhere in many styles.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Have you considered offset wrenches? I know Rockler sells a set for Porter cable routers, I'm sure there are others
as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have the 690 router in a Bench Dog lift which doesn't quite allow using the standard (flat) wrench on the spindle nut without going in on an angle. I bought one of the offset (bent) wrenches and it solved that problem but presented another one. The wrench needs to be held at the correct height in order to stay on the hex, but it's easy to let it move while you're trying to get the other wrench on and lined up. Came up with the idea of cutting a piece of plywood in a "C" shape - outside to match the outside of the wrench and inside a clearance with the hex flats. Drill a couple of holes in the wrench and attach the plywood to the bottom of the wrench. When changing bits, the bottom of the plywood shim can sit on the motor housing at the correct height and not slip below the hex. Should only take a couple of minutes to make one, may give that a try.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
My wife says this is why I never get anything done - too easily distracted.

Didn't take too long - except I was going to get fancy and tap holes in the wrench and come up through the ply with fl hd bolts. That idea lasted until I snapped a 6-32 tap off in the wrench. So I went back to plan "A", short SM screws with the point filed off on the back side.

Works OK, the plywood shim sits on top of the router face and the metal lines up with the hex so it doesn't drop down off the hex.

Now back to the scheduled project................

Attachments

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Before I got the Muscle chuck, I was using the offset wrench along with the straight wrench . I could not get the collet nut up like you show and the offset wrench was gowing up the Aluminum twist lock insert in the table .I was afraid that it would do permanent damage such that the plastic plate would not fit, I decided to just go with the muscle chuck . After I used the muscle chuck, for awhile, I decided to get another for the bosch in the other table

Herb

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
@Herb Stoops

I don't remember if the larger opening was one of the features that led me to pick the Bench Dog lift way back or if I just lucked out. You can use the straight wrench with the lift as shown on their web site but the wrench has to be angled in and I was always getting them tangled. The offset wrench was a good solution except trying to keep it at the right height so it didn't slip off the hex - the plywood shim seems to have taken care of that.

Bench Dog Products: Pro-Lift

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
@Herb Stoops

I don't remember if the larger opening was one of the features that led me to pick the Bench Dog lift way back or if I just lucked out. You can use the straight wrench with the lift as shown on their web site but the wrench has to be angled in and I was always getting them tangled. The offset wrench was a good solution except trying to keep it at the right height so it didn't slip off the hex - the plywood shim seems to have taken care of that.

Bench Dog Products: Pro-Lift
I think that is a good idea to keep it square with the router shaft.
Herb

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have heard of some issues with poor quality of offset wrenchs; the jaws are not thick enough to keep them from spreading (and slipping) when you torque the wrench. Has anyone found good quality offset wrenches for Porter Cable routers (1 1/8")?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
tappet wrenches and bend to your happiness..

·
Registered
218 Posts
@Stick486

"tappet wrenches and bend to your happiness.."

How about a crowfoot wrench?? & ratchet

crowfoot is a bit 'thicker" than a tappet wrench

smitty

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
You can always grind them thinner. You could insert the crowsfoot from the side and then slip an extension in it from the end.

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
I really can't understand why in this age anyone uses even one spanner never mind two since the MUSCLECHUCK hit the market, not only is just an Allen key required, only a half turn locks the bit far greater than a conventional chuck, in addition, there is about an extra 1/2" of height. I would treat with scepticism if anyone claimed to have had a MUSCLECHUCK then gone back to a conventional one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
A fellow member sent me a PM this morning claiming that his MUSCLECHUCK was no more than an expensive paper weight with far greater run-out than his original chuck. Having never heard of a faulty MUSCLECHUCK, I presumed that he had set it up as per the instructions, so I suggested that he contact the maker who, one way or another would solve his problem. MUSCLECHUCK have a reputation for answering all questions and ensuring that their customers receive complete satisfaction. I hope to hear from the member as to the outcome.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I really can't understand why in this age anyone uses even one spanner never mind two since the MUSCLECHUCK hit the market, not only is just an Allen key required, only a half turn locks the bit far greater than a conventional chuck, in addition, there is about an extra 1/2" of height. I would treat with scepticism if anyone claimed to have had a MUSCLECHUCK then gone back to a conventional one.
because being on a fix income it would take me a few months just to save enough to purchase that :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts