Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question on routing a 1" dato using a 3/4" straight bit, after making the first pass is it best to move the fence toward the bit or away to make the last 1/4" cut ??

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
I move the fence away from the bit. This way you are still feeding into the bit, and not climb cutting, which can pull the bit away from you.

You could also set up your fence with a 1/4 inch shim. Make the first cut, which will be 'balanced' with stock on both side of the bit. Then, pull your shim and make the cut again.

It has worked for me in the past, maybe another can explain it a little clearer if needed.

·
Banned
666 Posts
Both replies are correct. Should you do the opposite the material is likely to be pulled out of your hand and shoot forward leaving your hand heading straight for the cutter.The deeper the cut and the hardness of the material will increase the force the material will move.

So to repeat MOVE THE FENCE BACK for the second cut
Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, Jsoika: I would move the fence away from the bit for the second cut.
Woodnut65
While I don't disagree with the preferences shown here, I have to take issue with saying that moving the fence toward the bit for the second cut would be a 'climb cut' situation. To create a 'climb cut' situation, you would either have to change the feed direction, the bit rotation direction, or move the fence from one side of the bit to the other keeping the bit and feed direction the same.

Moving the fence toward or away from the bit does not change the relationship between the bit rotation and direction of travel of the work piece. To have a climb cut situation, you have to have the work piece traveling the same direction as the bit rotation.

QHC

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
HI QHC

No need to stand corrected

I find myself like the picture below all the time :)

=====

I didn't think that one through did I. I stand corrected.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
While I don't disagree with the preferences shown here, I have to take issue with saying that moving the fence toward the bit for the second cut would be a 'climb cut' situation. To create a 'climb cut' situation, you would either have to change the feed direction, the bit rotation direction, or move the fence from one side of the bit to the other keeping the bit and feed direction the same.

Moving the fence toward or away from the bit does not change the relationship between the bit rotation and direction of travel of the work piece. To have a climb cut situation, you have to have the work piece traveling the same direction as the bit rotation.

QHC
I hate to have to disagree with you but all the above answers are correct (except yours), the situation is like routing internal and external, if you brought the fence forward, you would have to feed the wood from left to right, ie; into the cutter.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Hi, Jsoika: I would move the fence away from the bit for the second cut.
Woodnut65
I agree with this. Harrysin is also correct in reversing feed direction if the fence is moved toward the bit. But in that situation, you are trapping the stock between the bit and the fence.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.