Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As a first project. I have decided to make a coffee table. To make a coffee table top, I am trying to join planks of pine in downward and upside end grains to avoid warping. After watching multiple videos on using router as a jointer, I bought a 1/4 shank 1 inch dept straight bit- plugged it into my 3000 rpm 5a black and decker router. The problem is that at first i was not getting a straight edge but rather grooves or ridges. Then after tightening my router to table (even more) the router is now splitting wood.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi,

As a first project. I have decided to make a coffee table. To make a coffee table top, I am trying to join planks of pine in downward and upside end grains to avoid warping. After watching multiple videos on using router as a jointer, I bought a 1/4 shank 1 inch dept straight bit- plugged it into my 3000 rpm 5a black and decker router. The problem is that at first i was not getting a straight edge but rather grooves or ridges. Then after tightening my router to table (even more) the router is now splitting wood.

Try taking about 0.1 mm / pass with an appropriate steady feed rate..

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Aseem, Welcome to the Router Forums! I hope we can be helpful to you as well as us being able to learn from you. The above suggestions is very good, but curiousity makes me ask, are you certain of that (3,000) RPM? That is terribly slow. 5A indicates a weak router, but that thing is only turning at drill speed.

·
Official Greeter
18,790 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum Aseem.

Most variable speed routers spin from 8,000 to 25,000 rpm, fixed speed router >20,000rpm.

What make,model router are you using.

Do you have a jointer fence set up on your table?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi folks,

I have confirmed that it is a 3000rpm 5a router, maybe that is the problem. i am using the fence as well

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I have confirmed that it is a 3000rpm 5a router, maybe that is the problem. i am using the fence as well
Sorry to hear that. From reading your posts I can see 3 probable problems..

1. The speed of the router is turning too slow for a 1/4 bit, which would be 18,000 - 23,000 rpm. Example- Most table saws spin at 3540 rpm with a 10" blade... the radius of that blade is 5". At 5" out, the speed of the cutting edge's surface is... Now imagine a 1/4 inch router bit and the speed that cutting edge needs to be to come anywhere close to that. (Just an example) You say your router spins at 3000 rpm... I curious what brand router spins that slow.

2. When doing jointing on a router table, I only take off 1/32" to 1/16" at a time, because it's a precision edge cut. It matters if there is any kind of resulting wave. Otherwise other kinds of cuts would be 1/8" to 1/4"...

3. On a standard router fence, when jointing, it needs to be a split fence and you shim the outfeed fence, then set the bit to the outfeed fence... That way the work is fed along the infeed fence, encounters the bit and is supported by the outfeed fence. One of my tables has a fence that the outfeed fence adjusts out so I don't have to shim it to do that.

Anyone see anything else?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to hear that. From reading your posts I can see 3 probable problems..

1. The speed of the router is turning too slow for a 1/4 bit, which would be 18,000 - 23,000 rpm. Example- Most table saws spin at 3540 rpm with a 10" blade... the radius of that blade is 5". At 5" out, the speed of the cutting edge's surface is... Now imagine a 1/4 inch router bit and the speed that cutting edge needs to be to come anywhere close to that. (Just an example) You say your router spins at 3000 rpm... I curious what brand router spins that slow.

2. When doing jointing on a router table, I only take off 1/32" to 1/16" at a time, because it's a precision edge cut. It matters if there is any kind of resulting wave. Otherwise other kinds of cuts would be 1/8" to 1/4"...

3. On a standard router fence, when jointing, it needs to be a split fence and you shim the outfeed fence, then set the bit to the outfeed fence... That way the work is fed along the infeed fence, encounters the bit and is supported by the outfeed fence. One of my tables has a fence that the outfeed fence adjusts out so I don't have to shim it to do that.

Anyone see anything else?
Hi,

It is a black and decker router. I have another router made by rona, however it doesnt fit my router table. i think it is time to buy another table ....

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Hi,

It is a black and decker router. I have another router made by rona, however it doesnt fit my router table. i think it is time to buy another table ....
What is the model number of that Black&Decker router?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apparently it is a 33,000 rpm router and not 3,300- it is a very old router- router model number 7604

1 - 10 of 10 Posts