Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a request for routing a board but can't remember if is it cedar or redwood. Senior moment. Any precautions or instructions? Have plenty of wood for a backer board. TIA.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
lettering or edge???

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I work with a fair bit of red cedar as it is one of the most common woods here. The dust can be deadly to some people so use a DC when you route if possible or a dust mask if not. As said it tears out easily so I like to nibble away at corners first where it will be a problem and take a slim portion of profiles on the first long cuts. On a thin cut the edge of the bit is cutting close to parallel with the grain but when you have the bit as deep as the bearing lets you go the cutting action is getting closer to 90* across the grain and cedar splits easily on the divisions between grain layers. As soft as cedar is the knots are hard as hell and bad for chipping router bits. An uncle was trying to rout a batch of knotty cedar with a Freud bit and it chipped it right away. He switched to a cheaper bit with C3 carbide instead of C4 and had no troubles finishing the run with it. The C3 grade is more impact resistant.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Cedar ain't my favorite material to rout. Redwood is way more forgiving.

Reactions: Herb Stoops
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.