Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing to 'straighten' the ends of some hardwood flooring I installed a year ago so I can start a new install tight to the older one. Any suggestions as to the best way to do this? I am considering a template bit, 3/4" diam. 1 1/4" long with a 1/2" shank. I plan to take numerous passes to ensure I don't get a lot of tearout. any other thoughts fomr anyone? Thanks

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi Jim,

I suggest using a backerboard to minimize/eliminate tearout. You won't need multiple passes either.

Mike

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Jim

I would suggest a over lap cut with a good jig saw and a good Bosch blade,just over lap the boards and cut them both at the same time, if you cut them in a "S " they still will line up just right and tight..(good side down when you cut them)

======

I am needing to 'straighten' the ends of some hardwood flooring I installed a year ago so I can start a new install tight to the older one. Any suggestions as to the best way to do this? I am considering a template bit, 3/4" diam. 1 1/4" long with a 1/2" shank. I plan to take numerous passes to ensure I don't get a lot of tearout. any other thoughts fomr anyone? Thanks

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Jim, since your flooring is already installed your best bet is to make a simple guide strip for the router to ride on. I suggest using 1/4" tempered hardboard for this and following the edge with a guide bushing. Fasten it down with double sided carpet tape, the cheapest you can find since it only needs to hold for a few minutes. This assures you will have a clean finished edge.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Jim, since your flooring is already installed your best bet is to make a simple guide strip for the router to ride on. I suggest using 1/4" tempered hardboard for this and following the edge with a guide bushing. Fasten it down with double sided carpet tape, the cheapest you can find since it only needs to hold for a few minutes. This assures you will have a clean finished edge.
thats the way i would go too. cheaper and easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts