Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been routing relief carving type signs lately, but am having problems keeping the routed out areas flat. I end up having to sand out all the small rings and trails that the router bit leaves behind. I use a straight plunge bit to route out a flat area. Are the rings and trails caused by the router's vibration? Is there anyway to minimise this?

Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks (my first post)

Victor

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hello Victor, I have in the past routed out many relief signs and found the same problem as you. My cure is to use a small chisel upright at 90 degrees to the wood and use it like a cabinet scraper. This does take a little time and patients but is worth the effort. I hope this is of some help to you. ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you have the room use a flat bottom bit,use the one called a bowl and tray bit it has radiused edges. I haven't used for signs,but have for inlays and it does a fine job. Relax take your time and enjoy the work.

Regards
Jerry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

jerrymayfield said:
If you have the room use a flat bottom bit,use the one called a bowl and tray bit it has radiused edges. I haven't used for signs,but have for inlays and it does a fine job. Relax take your time and enjoy the work.

Regards
Jerry
Thanks much for your suggestion. I ordered a Bowl and Tray bit with a 7/16 diameter. I will see how it works. Do you know if anyone produces them any smaller than 7/16 ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.