Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done lots of router work on various types of wood, but I was thinking about a project with plastic. Has anyone had any experience routing Nylon or similar plastics? Does it work? Or is this a very bad idea?

I'm thinking just a simple profile around the outside edge... Do I need a special bit?

Any thoughts gratefully received.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I have done lots of router work on various types of wood, but I was thinking about a project with plastic. Has anyone had any experience routing Nylon or similar plastics? Does it work? Or is this a very bad idea?

I'm thinking just a simple profile around the outside edge... Do I need a special bit?

Thanks.
Hi Peter - Welcome to the forum:)
Just what kind of profile did you have in mind? I've done lots of roundovers (small ones) bullnose and champfer but not much else.. maybe some trimming and straight cuts. Just use the same cutters I use for wood except for slots and trimming. For those I did pick up an O-flute. The stuff is tricky to handle because of the low melt point, Quillman is the man on this topic. :)

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
14,941 Posts

Thanks.
I've routed all sorts of plastics using standard bits without problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
882 Posts
I used a 3 blade carbide pattern bit on 3/16 cast acrylic. Made an insert for an aquarium sump filter (below). Softer plastics should be OK, just watch for melting.

CGC

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the input.

John, I am thinking just a 1/2 inch round over, and maybe a few edges with a flush-trim bit as well (I have a circular pattern to follow). I was hoping to use a piece of white Nylon-6,6. I should mention that I won't be able to use a router table, so I will be doing it with a handheld router.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hello!

Make some test first! Nylon is not as hard as Plexyglass, and different from hard pvc...

For lathe works, tool makers consider different cutting angles. (negative if I remember), because nylon will move at the moment of cutting something like cutting some rubber.

If you can find specific fot nylon or just flat angle cutting it should do.

The low-priced range of chinese cutters made for wood are not far from flat- angle cutting ...witch is like scratching.
So poor design could be good design in some cases!

Regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all who offered advice. I had some time this evening, so I tried out my router on a chunk of nylon. It actually surprised me how easily it cuts. The trick is to keep from heating it up, or it gets sticky. I found that a new, sharp tool and high speed worked the best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts