Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi kmdsouza

The normal Plywood can be nasty to rework with the router, brich plywood reworks well, plywood as you know as layers of wood and when you route it you are working with the grain and against the grain and it will chip out, MDF works well but it's just saw dust glued up as a board and is hard on the bits.

I like to use MDF, it's true (i.e. 3/4" is 3/4" unlike plywood ) and will come out clean on the cuts but it must be painted most of the time (called sign board sometimes ) or a seal job, because it will pickup moisture like a sponge and should Not be used for outdoor projects.

Just my 2 cents.
Bj :)

kmdsouza said:
Hi,

Is plywood ok to work with a router? Or does it chip when worked on? Is MDF better to work with? Or Ply?

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi
Now I know what you are talking about, sometimes call hardboard a real router bit killer :)
Sold in 1/8" to 1/4" thick the norm with or without holes for hanging tools on.

About the same for floor laminate stock, a real bit killer also, construct from layers of material bonded together with resin glue the norm.

Bj :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.