Router Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I making a rack where the framing is 15mm x 20mm. There are 6 pieces of framing, each about 500mm long. I have to route a series of shallow (2mm) 10mm wide slots in the framing - with 10mm between each slot. I've calculated there are about 140 slots that need to be cut!!

What's the best way to do this? I assume with the router in handheld mode, with an custom made base plate that has a 10mm wide guide strip attached to the underside, leaving a 10mm gap between edge of the 10mm bit and the guide strip?

I also have a router table - but can't see how that can be used in this instance.

Matthew

PS - have attached a pic that may help explain it. The length of the framing is not to scale - however the height/depth of slot/spacing of slot is.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Hi

I making a rack where the framing is 15mm x 20mm. There are 6 pieces of framing, each about 500mm long. I have to route a series of shallow (2mm) 10mm wide slots in the framing - with 10mm between each slot. I've calculated there are about 140 slots that need to be cut!!

What's the best way to do this? I assume with the router in handheld mode, with an custom made base plate that has a 10mm wide guide strip attached to the underside, leaving a 10mm gap between edge of the 10mm bit and the guide strip?

I also have a router table - but can't see how that can be used in this instance.

Matthew

PS - have attached a pic that may help explain it. The length of the framing is not to scale - however the height/depth of slot/spacing of slot is.

Hi Matt - had to think on this one a bit as I was kinda confused as to which way the dados are running. As I understand it, you need 6 pieces 15mm thick, 20 mm wide and 500 mm long with the dados running across the 20 mm direction?
If that's the case I would start with a piece 120+mm wide and 500 mm long. Run the dados across the 120mm dimension and rip to the 20mm end product. Don't forget to adjust for saw kerf.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John

Sorry for the confusion - you're right though, the dados are running across the 20mm wide bit - so are 10mm across, 20mm long, and 2mm deep. Good idea with the wide plank - and then ripping that - hadn't though of that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts