Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building cedar raised panel shutters 15" x 55". I have successfully built a router table and glued and raised all the panels for 9 pair of shutters. All the rails have been completed.

When I cut the edge on the stiles I get a reveal of the correct height at each end but it gets much shallower in the middle of the part. The stiles are 55" long. I have tried using a featherboard to hold the piece down and using multiple passes. The material is finger-jointed cedar and is free of knots and defects and pretty straight. The table insert is flush with the rest of the table and the insert is made of 3/8" Cast Acrylic.

Any ideas why the reveal gets skinnier in the middle would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hi,

The first thing that comes to mind is the flatness of the routing surface. If the ends of the table are higher then the middle it might be more then a feather board can deal with.

Take a 4 foot level or something that is able to span the top and is straight then with a light behind see where the light show through or take a business card see how that slides under in the middle. To be sure turn the level over and see what it looks like. If you have a space in the middle your top is not flat and the board will span the area giving you a case as you described.

If this doesn't seem to be the case then at least this thought can be eliminated.

Ed

·
Registered
674 Posts
to test my own theory, are you using a ROUSSEAU router plate? is the tongue of the coped end fitting tighter in the middle versus the ends? in otherwords is there more play in the ends versus the middle when assembling?.....rebel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.