Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
A plunge base allows you to come straight down into the wood with better control in beginning your cut. The fixed base must be leaned on it's side and "tipped" into the cut and can be tricky for beginners like me. I also prefer my fixed base for mounting to my table. Both bases have there value and purpose based on the person's skill and needs using it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another situation where a plunge router works better is when using a Forstner bit to cut a recess into a piece of wood. The plunge router base will provide a true 90 degree angle relative to the wood surface and you can set the plunger stop for precise depth of cut. It worked for me very well - except I had to buy a collet for the 3/8 inch shank on my Forstner bits.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Another situation where a plunge router works better is when using a Forstner bit to cut a recess into a piece of wood. The plunge router base will provide a true 90 degree angle relative to the wood surface and you can set the plunger stop for precise depth of cut. It worked for me very well - except I had to buy a collet for the 3/8 inch shank on my Forstner bits.
Rick, you should probably have a look at this page...

http://www.infinitytools.com/PDF/Forstner_Bit_SpeedChart.pdf

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Forstner style bits were never intended for use in a router, only in a drill press.

One of my first posts after becoming a member of this forum and several times since was to wonder why America still mainly use fixed base routers when most of the world uses plunge routers which can do everything that a fixed base one can plus much, much more, plus they are MUCH SAFER, if a problem arises release pressure and the bit retracts into the safety of the body.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks Duane. Although I did not have that info at my side when I used my router with the Forstner bit, I did in fact slow down the machine considerably to prevent burning the bit.

Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts